New York State Psychiatric Institute
- Existence: 1927
Biographical / Historical
The Pathological Institute of the New York State Hospitals was established in 1895 by the State Hospital Commission. The name changed to Psychiatric Institute of the State Hospitals in 1907. It was officially designated as the New York State Psychiatric Institute in the Mental Hygiene Law of 1927. The New York State Psychiatric Institute opened in December 1929 as a unit of the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, owned and operated by the state of New York under the supervision of the Department of Mental Hygiene.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Call Number: MS 1624
Overview: The papers consist of correspondence, reading notes, writings and research materials relating primarily to Hans C. Syz's career as secretary and president of the Lifwynn Foundation. The papers provide information on the formation and development of the Lifwynn Foundation, as well as research and writing by staff members and students. Syz's work as a psychiatrist in New York and Baltimore hospitals is also documented, as are his activities as a collector of 18th-century Western European...