Herbert, Henry William, 1807-1858
Henry William Herbert (1807-1858), pen name Frank Forester; English novelist, poet, historian, illustrator, journalist, and writer on sport.
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Miscellaneous letters related to big game hunting, a photograph album of early contributors to Forest and Stream (with a letter from George Bird Grinnell identifying the photographs), diaries, miscellaneous writings and memorabilia all related to travel or hunting. The letters were removed from books in a library collected by Charles Sheldon and presented to Yale University by Francis P. Garvan in 1929.
ALS suggesting that the firm publish his proposed book The Beauty of the Classics as part of its "Library of Choice Reading" series. He goes on to describe this work, an anthology of essays and translations by himself and other scholars that would include, among other works, Aeschylus's Agamemnon. He mentions that this particular translation has been "approved by the professors at Cambridge, Mass."
- Archival Object 2
- Collection 2
- Big game hunting 1
- Cabinet photographs -- United States -- 19th century 1
- Cartes-de-visite (card photographs) -- United States -- 19th century 1
- Cigarette cards -- United States -- 19th century 1
- Conservation of natural resources 1
- Diaries 1
- Drawings (visual works) -- United States -- 19th century 1
- Environmental protection 1
- Fishers -- United States 1
- Fishing -- United States 1
- Forest and Stream 1
- Photographs -- United States -- 19th century 1
- South Africa -- Description and travel 1
- Tintypes (prints) -- United States -- 19th century 1
- Trade cards (advertising) -- United States -- 19th century 1
- Watercolors (paintings) -- United States -- 19th century 1
- West (U.S.) 1 ∧ less