Leighton, Clare, 1898-1989
Found in 338 Collections and/or Records:
Numbered 3 in upper right corner.
Numbered 4 in upper right corner.
Numbered 5 in upper right corner.
Numbered 6 in upper right corner.
Numbered 7 in upper right corner.
Numbered 8 in upper right corner.
Numbered 9 in upper right corner.
Numbered 10 in upper right corner.
Numbered 11 in upper right corner.
Unnumbered proof. Grass added beneath the waterwheel indicates that this print follows State 11.
Signed by Leighton. Labeled: Ice Cutting, 26/50; 607.
Two compositional studies matted together on board. At top is a large circular drawing of the tool assembly on tracing paper taped over the bottom portion.
Various large sketches of tools. Large sketch in the upper left is difficult to identify. Sketches at the bottom and to the right look similar; one is labeled "snow scraper." It is different from the scraper engraved in the foreground of the final image, in that this one has two short handles and its teeth seem to form a diamond-shape.
A torn, half-sheet of paper. The profile of a man with a hat, and a sketch of some sort of ice-spear.
Sketch of two men cutting ice. The ice appears divided by parallel lines running from front to back, and the two men are cutting perpendicular to these lines.
Sketch of two men cutting ice. One is seen in profile, with both hands pushing down on a long, toothy saw; behind him, a man leans towards the viewer, pushing down on two handlebars. A large rectangular ink-stain appears on the right side of the page.
- Archival Object 337
- Collection 1
- Wood engravings 156
- Graphite drawings 131
- Logging -- Pictorial works 31
- Marble industry and trade -- Pictorial works 31
- Maple sugar industry -- Pictorial works 30
- Lobster industry -- Pictorial works 28
- Tobacco farms -- Pictorial works 28
- Grain -- Milling -- Pictorial works 26
- Shipbuilding -- Pictorial works 25
- Cranberry industry -- Pictorial works 24
- Agriculture -- Pictorial works 23
- Atlantic cod fishing -- Pictorial works 23
- Ice industry -- Pictorial works 20
- Whaling -- Pictorial works 19
- Queen's ware 13
- Photographs 9
- Wood-engraving 8
- Grain -- Milling 5
- Cranberry industry 3
- Ice industry 3 ∧ less