Martineau, Harriet, 1802-1876
- Existence: 1802 - 1876
Harriet Martineau (1802-1876), British social theorist and Whig writer.
Found in 22 Collections and/or Records:
A set of nineteen posters with 112 bust portraits depicting identified men and women, primarily authors, artists, scientists, monarchs, and religious and political leaders from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, with a group of idealized heads illustrating characteristics identified by phrenologists.
ALS, Tynemouth, to Mrs. Marshall, Sep 29, ; 15 ALS, with three envelopes, Ambleside, to Arthur Allen, [1850-1852], 1855-1856, and n.d.; and three ALS, with one envelope, to Allen, written on behalf of Martineau by her niece, Maria Martineau, [1855-1856].
Part of an ALS to Allen, Apr 22, 1856, is missing.
Two ALS to Mrs. John A. Murray, Sep 20, [1838?], and n.d.; and ALS to John A. Murray, Feb 13, [1845?].
Accompanied by notes of a former owner.
ALS, to Robert Chambers, Oct 10, , proposing that Chambers' Journal publish her article on mesmerism; ALS to Thomas Gordon, Jun, 1852; ANS to an unidentified recipient, Mar 5, 1856; ALS to Sara Sophia Hennell, Jun 16, 1867; ALS to Mary Carpenter, n.d.; and two engraved illustrations: the Knoll, Ambleside, with brief holograph notes; and Martineau's birthplace.
- Archival Object 20
- Collection 2
- Authors, English -- 19th century -- Archives 1
- Bindings (gathered matter components) -- 19th century 1
- Bindings (gathered matter components) -- 20th Century 1
- Commonplace books -- Great Britain -- 19th century 1
- Drawings (visual works) -- Great Britain -- 19th century 1
- Drawings (visual works) -- United States -- 19th century 1
- English drama -- 19th century 1
- English literature -- 19th century 1
- English poetry -- 19th century 1
- Phrenology -- United States 1
- Physiognomy -- United States 1
- Posters -- United States -- 19th century 1
- Scrapbooks -- Great Britain -- 19th century 1
- Women authors 1 ∧ less