Sterne, Maurice, 1878-1957
- Existence: 1878 - 1957
Maurice Sterne (1878-1957), American sculptor and painter; husband of philanthropist Mabel Dodge Luhan (1879-1962).
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
The papers contain correspondence, writings, and printed ephemera about art documenting McBride's career as an art critic. Major correspondents include Mildred Aldrich, Malcolm MacAdam, Maximilian Mitzlaff, Gertrude Stein, Alfred Stieglitz, and Carl Van Vechten.
The Leo Stein Collection contains manuscripts of writings by Stein, letters from such persons as: Bernard Berenson, Mabel Dodge Luhan and Maurice Sterne, personal papers, photographs, and artworks (mainly by Stein), which document the life of Leo Stein, an artist and writer.
Many letters to Leo Stein for the period before 1913 can be found in the Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas Papers, YCAL MSS 76, also owned by the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
- Subject: Artists X
- Art criticism 2
- Artists 2
- Artists -- United States 2
- Modernism (Art) 2
- Photographic prints 2
- Sculpture, Modern -- 20th Century 2
- Americans -- France -- History -- 20th Century 1
- Anticoli Corrado (Italy) 1
- Art -- Exhibitions 1
- Art critics 1
- Art critics -- United States 1
- Art museums 1
- Art, American 1
- Artists -- United States -- Exhibitions 1
- Athens (Greece) 1
- Authors 1
- Authors, American -- 20th Century -- Archives 1
- Bali (Indonesia : Province) 1
- Drawings (visual works) 1 ∧ less