- Existence: 1914
Alexis Rannit, Estonian poet and art critic, was born in Kallaste, Estonia in 1914. He emigrated to Germany in 1939, and to the United States in 1952. Rannit worked at the New York Public Library in the 1950s and became Curator of the Slavic and East European collections at the Yale University Library in 1961. Rannit's writings include poetry in Estonian and in English translation, and several works of literary and art criticism. Among his major publications are Akna raamistuses (1937), Käesurve (1945), Suletud avarust (1956), Kuiv hiilgus (1963), Kaljud (1969), Line (1970), Sõrmus (1972), Donum Estonicum: Poems in Translation (1976), Cantus Firmus (1978), and Helikeeli (1982).
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
The papers consist of Filippov's correspondence with Russian émigré literary figures and scholars, typescripts of Filippov's writings (poetry, prose, critical essays), materials for works edited by Filippov as well as writings by others not included in works edited by Filippov; and artwork by Serge Hollerbach for books edited by Filippov.
Collection of names of American poets written by Rannit in calligraphy.
The papers consist chiefly of subject files maintained by Rannit, dating roughly from the 1950s to the 1980s. The subject files include correspondence, writings, photographs, and printed material that document Aleksis Rannit's life and work as an art and literary critic and Curator of the Slavic and East European Collections for the Yale University Library.
Collection of poems, holograph, facsimile, accompanied by an ANS transmitting the poems to the Beinecke Library, Nov 24, 1981.
The poems were published in facsimile in The New Directions International Anthology v. 40 (1980).
- Collection 4
- Archival Object 2
- Authors, Russian -- 20th Century 2
- Russian literature -- 20th Century 2
- Acquisition of manuscripts 1
- Acquisitions (Libraries) 1
- American literature -- 20th century 1
- Art -- Collectors and collecting 1
- Art criticism 1
- Art, Estonian -- 20th Century 1
- Audiovisual materials 1
- Authors, Estonian 1
- Authors, Lithuanian 1
- Authors, Russian 1
- Authors, Russian -- 20th Century -- Archives 1
- Clippings (information artifacts) 1
- Emigration and immigration 1
- Estonian literature -- 20th Century 1
- Estonian poetry -- 20th Century 1
- Fine books -- United States 1
- Librarians 1
- Lithuanian literature -- 20th Century 1 ∧ less