Boswell, James, 1740-1795
James Boswell (1740-1795), Scottish lawyer, diarist, and author of The Life of Johnson (1791)
Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:
The Boswell Collection contains the correspondence, diaries, and manuscripts of author James Boswell; estate records, letters, personal and professional papers, and other materials documenting the lives and careers of ten generations of Boswells and their possession of the barony of Auchinleck; and correspondence relating to the political career of Alexander Bruce, Earl of Kincardine.
The collection consists mainly of letters and writings by or pertaining to various members of the Boswell of Auchinleck family. Series III includes seventeen journals of weather conditions and work assignments on the Auchinleck estate.
The papers include correspondence, teaching materials, and writings that document Frederick Pottle's scholarly interest in English literature, primarily the work of James Boswell. The papers also reflect Pottle's involvement in the affairs of the Yale English Department, Colby College, and the Episcopal Church.
The papers consist of correspondence, topical files, business and financial documents, photographs, and printed material which document Ralph Heyward Isham's British army service and his collecting and publishing of the James Boswell Papers.
The records consist of scrapbooks and photostats of correspondence and clippings documenting the purchase of James Boswell's private papers by Yale University.
- Administration of estates -- Scotland 2
- Authors, English -- 19th century 2
- Ayrshire (Scotland) 2
- English literature -- 18th century 2
- Entail -- Scotland 2
- Great Britain -- Rural conditions 2
- Inheritance and succession -- Scotland 2
- Land tenure -- Scotland 2
- Manors -- Scotland 2
- Scotland -- Economic conditions 2
- Academic libraries -- Acquisitions 1
- Agriculture -- Economic aspects -- Scotland 1
- Albums (Books) -- England -- 19th century 1
- Artists -- 18th century 1
- Artists -- 19th century 1
- Artists -- England -- 18th century 1
- Artists -- England -- 19th century 1
- Authors 1
- Authors -- England -- 19th century 1
- Authors, English -- 18th century 1 ∧ less