Rorty, James, 1890-1973
- Existence: 1890-03-30 - 1973-02-25
James Rorty (1890-1973), writer, journalist, poet, and father of philosopher Richard Rorty.
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Call Number: MS 146
Abstract: The papers consist of correspondence, subject files, writings, memoranda and reports, research materials, and miscellanea, documenting the personal life and professional career of John Collier. His service with the American Indian Defense Association (A.I.D.A.), as United States Commissioner of Indian Affairs, and as a teacher and author is detailed. Correspondence files include materials with leading political, literary, and social figures. Drafts of books, articles, essays, reviews, and...
Call Number: YCAL MSS 835
Abstract: Manuscripts, printed works, correspondence, and professional papers of the writer James Rorty. The Writings series includes Rorty's typescript and manuscript essays on social issues, civil rights, and political activism, two of his poems, and printed works. The Correspondence series includes three typed letters between Rorty's wife Winifred Rorty and Matthew Josephson; letters between Rorty and Jerré E. Tanner regarding Tanner's setting of Rorty's poem "A Spring Garland" for voice and...
Call Number: YCAL MSS 324
Abstract: The papers contain writings, correspondence, personal papers, photographs, and family papers of twentieth-century American writer Chard Powers Smith. The collection documents his career through drafts of his writings and through correspondence that reveals his personal and professional relationships with fellow writers, publishers, and literary organizations. The papers also contain information about his family, documenting not only his relationships with family members but also the lives of...
Dates: 1759-1978, bulk 1910-1977
- Authors, American -- 20th Century -- Archives 2
- Agrarians (Group of writers) 1
- American literature -- 20th century 1
- American poetry -- 20th Century 1
- Anthropology 1
- Authors 1
- Authors -- United States -- 20th century 1
- Civil Rights movements -- United States 1
- Educators 1
- Free America 1
- Indians of North America 1
- Indians of North America -- Government relations 1
- Indigenous peoples 1
- Individualism -- United States 1
- Journalists -- United States 1
- Journalists -- United States -- 20th Century 1
- Minorities 1
- Nation (New York, N.Y.) 1
- Photographs 1
- Poets -- United States -- 20th century 1 ∧ less