Willis, John, 1957-
- Existence: 1957
John Willis (1957- ), American photographer.
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
John Willis Collection of Lakota Art
Call Number: WA MSS S-4447
Abstract: Drawings and inkjet prints of drawings created by Lakota artists, 2008-2017, as well as art produced by others related to protests against the construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline in North Dakota, 2016-2019. Artists represented in the collection include Gilbert Kills Pretty Enemy, III, Quinton Maldonado, Joe Pulliam, and Dwayne Wilcox. It includes 25 original drawings as well as 20 inkjet prints of drawings. More than half of the works created by the artists integrate ledger paper. Six...
John Willis photographs
Call Number: WA MSS S-4516
Abstract: The collection documents Willis’ career as a photographer from the 1970s through 2019. It contains approximately 20,000 film negatives and corresponding contact prints. Photographs by Willis include black and white 35mm negatives, medium format 6x6cm, 6x7cm, 6x17cm negatives, and large format 4x5”, 5x7” and 8x10” negatives and contact prints for all images published in Recycled Realities and Views From the Reservation, as well as...
Dates: 1880-2019, bulk 1980-2019
Photographs of Dakota Access Pipeline Protests in North Dakota
Call Number: WA Photos Folio 186
Abstract: Photographs created by John Willis during six trips from September through December 2016 that document a resistance movement based near Cannon Ball, North Dakota, and eastern edge of the Standing Rock Indian Reservation protesting against the Energy Transfer Partners project to construct a petroleum pipeline known as the Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) at the site and through North Dakota and South Dakota as well as across Iowa into Illinois. The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe led the protest with...
Photographs of Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and the Mexican-American Border Region
Call Number: WA Photos Folio 213
Photographs created by John Willis and printed as 98 inkjet color prints that document sites chiefly at South Dakota and the Mexican-American Border Region as well as Nebraska and North Dakota in 2018-2019, although predominantly in 2019.
- Subject: Dakota Access Pipeline -- Pictorial works X
- Indians of North America -- Political activity -- Pictorial works 3
- Inkjet prints 3
- Photographs 3
- South Dakota -- Pictorial works 3
- Standing Rock Indian Reservation (N.D. and S.D.) -- Pictorial works 3
- Standing Rock Sioux Tribe of North & South Dakota -- Pictorial works 3
- Indians of North America -- Portraits 2
- North Dakota -- Pictorial works 2
- Photographic prints 2
- Pine Ridge (S.D.) -- Pictorial works 2
- Pine Ridge Indian Reservation (S.D.) -- Pictorial works 2
- Protest camps -- North Dakota -- Pictorial works 2
- Protest movements -- North Dakota -- Pictorial works 2
- Arizona -- Pictorial works 1
- Batesland (S.D.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Big Bend National Park (Tex.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Bismarck (N.D.) -- Pictorial works 1
- Black Hills (S.D. and Wyo.) -- Pictorial works 1 ∧ less