Robert J. T. Joy Student Notes from Yale School of Medicine
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of Robert J. T. Joy's student notebooks from Yale School of Medicine containing handwritten illustrated notes and mimeograph pages from medical school lectures and laboratories. Among the subjects covered are anatomy, bacteriology, biochemistry, genetics, histology, neuroanatomy, pathology, pharmacology, physical diagnosis, and physiology. In his letter of transmittal, Dr. Joy noted some of the professors who had taught these courses.
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Yale University does not hold copyright.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Robert J. T. Joy, 1998.
Notebooks are arranged alphabetically by subject with clinical notes at the end.
1 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
Robert J. T. Joy graduated from Yale School of Medicine in 1954. The collection contains his student notes.
Biographical / Historical
Robert J. T. Joy received his B.S. from the University of Rhode Island in 1950 and graduated from the Yale School of Medicine in 1954. He trained in internal medicine at the Walter Reed General Hospital in Washington, D.C. Joy served in the army from 1954 to 1981, rising to the rank of colonel. He was commander of the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research Team in Vietnam and later Director of the WRAIR. In 1976 he founded the department of military medicine at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences and served as first Commandant. When he retired from the Army, he founded the USUHS section (later a department) of medical history which he headed until 1996.
- Barron, Donald Henry, 1905-1993
- Bunting, Henry, 1911-1954
- Burr, Harold Saxton, 1889-
- Forbes, Thomas Rogers, 1911-1988
- Fruton, Joseph S. (Joseph Stewart), 1912-2007
- Fulton, John F. (John Farquhar), 1899-1960
- Gardner, William U. (William Ullman), 1907-1988
- Greene, Harry Sylvestre Nutting, 1904-1969
- Lecture notes
- Liebow, Averill A., 1911-
- Medical education
- Medical historians
- Medical students
- Weinman, David, 1909-1991
- Yale University. School of Medicine
- Yale University. School of Medicine. Class of 1954
- Guide to the Robert J. T. Joy Student Notes from Yale School of Medicine
- Finding aid by Toby A. Appel
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.