John J. Cushing Correspondence
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of letters written by John J. Cushing from San Francisco to his mother, brother Edward, and sister Susan Cushing Cheney, in Providence, Rhode Island. They contain information on a wide variety of subjects including his homeopathic medical practice, relations with regular physicians, gold and copper mining (he owned a copper mine in Arizona), economic conditions, social life, San Francisco politics, his marriage, and the construction of his house.
- Majority of material found within 1853 - 1857
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection is not under copyright.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Arranged by date.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 box, 33 items)
Language of Materials
John J. Cushing was an early homeopathic physician in San Francisco. The collection consists of letters to his family.
Biographical / Historical
John J. Cushing was born in Providence, Rhode Island on February 14, 1822, the son Daniel Cooke Cushing (1783-1830), a merchant in Providence, and Susan Barrett Cushing (1786-1862). With a medical diploma from an unidentified medical school, he moved to San Francisco in 1853 and began practice as one of the earliest homeopathic physicians in San Francisco. He served as first president of the Pacific Homoeopathic Medical Society in 1874. In 1856 he married Harriet Reed Barlow of Burlington, Vermont, who was a school teacher in San Francisco. In 1873 he moved to Marin County about six miles from Sausalito where he homesteaded property and built a sanitorium which he named Blithedale. He died at Blithedale on September 3, 1879.
- California -- Economic conditions
- Cheney, Susan Jarvis Cushing, 1827-
- Copper mines and mining -- Arizona
- Cushing, Edward Jarvis, 1824-1905
- Cushing, John J., 1822-1879
- Cushing, Susan Barrett, 1786-1862
- Gold mines and mining -- California
- Homeopathic physicians -- California -- San Francisco
- Homeopathy -- California
- Letters (correspondence)
- Politics and culture -- California -- San Francisco
- San Francisco Medical Society
- Guide to the John J. Cushing Correspondence
- Finding aid by Toby A. Appel and Judit Balassa
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.