New Haven Hospital and Grace-New Haven Community Hospital Collection
Scope and Contents
Series 1 consists of files of the Dean of the Yale School of Medicine (George Blumer, Milton C. Winternitz, Stanhope Bayne Jones, and Francis G. Blake) concerning the New Haven Hospital and its successor, the Grace-New Haven Community Hospital, as well as on the New Haven Dispensary. These files include Executive Committee meetings, medical staff meetings; correspondence; reports on activities, finances, and personnel; and dicussions on the merger of New Haven Hospital and Grace Hospital. Series 2 consists of broadsides, pamphlets, and mailings related to the hospital. These go back to a small sheet in 1826 announcing a meeting to found a hospital. Of special note is a set of forms used by the Hospital from 1926 to 1938. Series 3 includes miscellaneous reports, reminiscences about working in the hospital, and other historical items. Series 4 contains a collection of newspaper clippings related to the hospital.
- Majority of material found within 1911 - 1947
- Bayne-Jones, Stanhope, 1888-1970
- Blake, Francis G. (Francis Gilman), 1887-1952
- Blumer, George, 1872-1962
- Winternitz, M. C. (Milton C.), 1885-1959
- Grace-New Haven Community Hospital
- New Haven Hospital (New Haven, Conn.)
- Yale-New Haven Hospital
- Yale University. School of Medicine
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Yale University or Yale-New Haven Hospital owns copyright for some, but not all, of these materials.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Deans' correspondence files in this collection were maintained and donated by Lottie G. Bishop, Executive Secretary in the Dean's Office. Some early broadsides, in particular, the Knight Hospital memoranda, were donated by the Beinecke Library in 1989. Some of the clippings and brochures appear to have been collected by Madeline Stanton, Librarian of the Historical Library. Some pamphlets were found in uncataloged pamphlet boxes that were transferred to the Yale Medical Library from Sterling Memorial Library. Most of these materials had previously been brought together by Madeline Stanton, former Librarian of the Historical Library.
Organized in 4 series: 1. Deans' files: correspondence, minutes, and reports. 2. Printed broadsides and brochures. 3. Miscellany. 4. Newspaper clippings. Arrangement within series is roughly chronological.
2.5 Linear Feet (5 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection includes the Dean of the Yale School of Medicine's correspondence and copies of minutes and reports concerning New Haven Hospital, the New Haven Dispensary, and Grace-New Haven Community Hospital; broadsides and brochures concerning these institutions and Yale-New Haven Hospital;miscellaneous materials including historical accounts of the hospital; and newspaper clippings.
Biographical / Historical
New Haven Hospital, originally known as the State Hospital, was organized in 1826 by professors at the Medical Institution of Yale College and other interested citizens. It was the first general hospital in the state and among the earliest general hospitals in the nation. After funds were raised, a building was erected on Cedar Street and opened in 1833. Donors became members of the General Hospital Society of Connecticut. The hospital did not have a direct relationship to the Yale School of Medicine until 1914 when an agreement allowed the hospital to be used for medical instruction and provided for the professors of the medical school to become chairs of the departments of the hospital. As the institution was still largely a charity in the first decades of the twentieth century, only Yale staff had access to patients. So that other physicians could gain clinical experience and follow their patients into the hospital, two other hospitals were founded in New Haven, Grace Hospital in 1889 and the Hospital of Saint Raphael in 1907 (opened 1910). Grace Hospital was founded by homeopaths and eclectics, but had become a community hospital by the 1920s. A plan to merge Grace Hospital with New Haven Hospital was avoided by Grace Hospital's raising enough money to remain independent. In 1944, discussions resumed resulting in a merger under the name Grace-New Haven Community Hospital in mid-1945. This hospital was partly under the control of the Yale School of Medicine but also open to community physicians. Grace-New Haven Community Hospital became Yale-New Haven Hospital in 1965. The New Haven Dispensary, founded independently in 1872, became, by contract in 1879, the clinic for the Yale University School of Medicine. It eventually became the outpatient department of the hospital.
- Bishop, Lottie Genevieve, 1885-
- Dispensaries -- Connecticut -- New Haven
- Hill Health Center (New Haven, Conn.)
- Hospitals -- Accounting
- Hospitals -- Administration
- Hospitals -- Connecticut -- New Haven
- Hospitals -- Finance
- Knight General Hospital (New Haven, Conn.)
- New Haven Dispensary (New Haven, Conn.)
- Snoke, Albert W. (Albert Waldo), 1907-
- Tuberculosis -- Hospitals
- Guide to the New Haven Hospital and Grace-New Haven Community Hospital Collection
- Finding aid by Toby A. Appel
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.