Ira V. Hiscock collection
Call Number: Ms Coll 45
Scope and Contents
The collection contains public health surveys, mostly in mimeograph form, by Hiscock, as well as related surveys collected by Hiscock; speeches; some correspondence; materials related to Hiscock's work as a trustee of the Yale-in-China Association; materials related to his role as a member of the U.S. delegation to the World Health Assembly in 1958, and materials that were to be assembled in scrapbooks, especially from the period after his retirement. The supplement includes, among other items, correspondence of Philip E. Nelbach on public health in Westport; clippings on a community survey of the Greater Hartford area in 1948; mimeographs on polio in Connecticut ca. 1959; materials on Hiscock's awards; correspondence of Hiscock after his retirement with Edward R. DeLouise, Director of Public Health in New Haven; and photographs from the dedication of the Ira V. Hiscock Library (former EPH Library).
- Majority of material found within 1930 - 1973
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research. Yale does not own copyright.
Organized into three series: 1. Health surveys and related materials. 2. Other Hiscock materials. 3. Supplement, 2016.
5 Linear Feet (9 boxes)
The collection contains public health surveys by Hiscock and others; some correspondence; materials related to Hiscock's activities in Yale-in-China and the World Health Assembly; materials on Hiscock's awards; photographs and memorabilia on the dedication of the Ira V. Hiscock Library; and memorabilia that were to be assembled in scrapbooks, especially from the period after his retirement.
Biographical / Historical
Ira V. Hiscock received a master's in public health from Yale in 1921 and served on the faculty of the Department of Public Health from 1920 on. He attained the rank of full professor in 1931 and became chairman of the department and Anna M. R. Lauder Professor in 1947, serving until his retirement in 1960. He was active in a large number of organizations and especially known for his work directing health surveys and in strengthening community public health organizations.
Donated to the Epidemiology and Public Health (EPH) Library by Margaret Hiscock Weatherly, Mount Laurel, N.J. Transferred to the Medical Historical Library, 2013.
- American Public Health Association
- Bishop, E. L. (Eugene Lindsay), 1886-
- Commonwealth Foundation
- Connecticut Public Health Association
- Connecticut State Medical Society
- DeLouise, Edward R. (Edward Rocco)
- Dublin, Thomas D.
- East Harlem Health Center
- Epidemiology -- United States
- Falk, I. S. (Isidore Sydney), 1899-1984
- Greenwich Hospital (Greenwich, Conn.)
- Health educators -- United States
- Health surveys -- Connecticut -- Hartford
- Health surveys -- Hawaii
- Health surveys -- Maryland -- Baltimore
- Health surveys -- Mississippi -- Pike County
- Health surveys -- New York (State) -- New York
- Health surveys -- Ohio -- Dayton
- Health surveys -- Ohio -- Montgomery County
- Health surveys -- Ohio -- Stark County
- Health surveys -- Tennessee -- Rutherford County
- Health surveys -- Tennessee -- Sullivan County
- Health surveys -- Washington (D.C.)
- Hiscock, Ira V. (Ira Vaughan), 1892-
- Hospitals -- Washington (D.C.)
- Milbank Memorial Fund
- Munger, Claude W. (Claude Worrell), 1892-1950
- National Society for the Prevention of Blindness
- Nelbach, Philip Edward, 1913-
- New England Public Health Association
- Nyswander, Dorothy B. (Dorothy Bird), 1894-1998
- Oahu Health Council
- Park, Edwards A. (Edwards Albert), 1877-1969
- Payne, A. M.-M
- Poliomyelitis -- Connecticut -- New Haven -- 1955-1960
- Public health -- Connecticut -- Westport
- Public health -- Education -- Hawaii
- Public health -- Education -- Tennessee
- Public health administration
- Scamman, Clarence Linwood, 1888-
- School health services -- Taiwan
- Tennessee Valley Authority. Health and Safety Department
- Walker, W. Frank (Watson Frank), 1889?-1941
- White House Conference on Child Health and Protection
- Winslow, C.-E. A. (Charles-Edward Amory), 1877-1957
- World Health Assembly (11th) -- Minneapolis -- 1958
- World Health Organization
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Health aspects
- Yale University. Department of Epidemiology and Public Health
- Yale University. Department of Public Health
- Yale University. School of Public Health -- History
- Yale-in-China Association
- Ira V. Hiscock collection
- Toby A. Appel
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Edition statement