Scope and Contents
This finding aid encompasses accessions of materials pertaining to John Dalrymple, 2nd earl of Stair.
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Stair Papers are the physical property of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. Literary rights, including copyright, belong to the authors or their legal heirs and assigns. For further information, consult the appropriate curator.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Unspecified, please consult the appropriate curator.
0.5 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The collection consists of letters and a few miscellaneous papers documenting the last part of Stair's political and military career. There are 53 letters from Sarah Jennings Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough, written to inform Stair of developments in London, 1737-1742. Subjects include the royal family; the illness and death of Queen Caroline; the political intrigues of the Prince of Wales and members of his court; Robert Walpole and the opposition to his government; foreign affairs, particularly relations with Spain and France; and the Duchess' family difficulties. Other correspondents include Eugene, Prince of Savoy; James Erskine, Lord Grange, and Henri, comte de Calenberg, whose two lengthy letters discuss the international political situation.
In addition, the collection contains several contemporary satires and portraits; notes of a 1733 speech given in Parliament by Lord Stair; and papers concerning the defense of Ostend in 1745.
This finding aid was produced from a previously existing card set in the Manuscripts Catalog, or from another inventory. All pertinent bibliographical information has been retained. If the collection also contains unlisted or unsorted material, this has been noted in the box-and-folder list.
- Anglo-Spanish War, 1739-1748
- Austrian Succession, War of, 1740-1748
- Calenberg, Henri, comte de, 1685-1772
- Caroline, consort of George II, King of Great Britain, 1683-1737
- Eugene, of Savoy, Prince of Savoy, 1663-1736
- Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, 1707-1751
- George, King of Great Britain, II, 1683-1760
- Grange, James Erskine, Lord, 1679-1754
- Great Britain -- Court and courtiers
- Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- 1727-1760
- Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1727-1760
- Great Britain. Parliament -- 18th century
- Hanover, House of
- Marlborough, Charles Spencer, Duke of, 1706-1758
- Marlborough, Sarah Jennings Churchill, Duchess of, 1660-1744
- Neufville, François de, 1644-1730
- Politicians -- Great Britain
- Stair, John Dalrymple, Earl of, 1673-1747
- Walpole, Robert, Earl of Orford, 1676-1745
- Women -- Political activity -- Great Britain
- Guide to the Stair Papers
- Under Revision
- by Beinecke Staff
- May 1996
- Description rules
- Beinecke Manuscript Unit Archival Processing Manual
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library Repository
P. O. Box 208330
New Haven CT 06520-8330 US
121 Wall Street
New Haven, CT 06511
The Beinecke Library is open to all Yale University students and faculty, and visiting researchers whose work requires use of its special collections. You will need to bring appropriate photo ID the first time you register. Beinecke is a non-circulating, closed stack library. Paging is done by library staff during business hours. You can request collection material online at least two business days in advance of your visit, using the request links in Archives at Yale. For more information, please see Planning Your Research Visit and consult the Reading Room Policies prior to visiting the library.