Scope and Contents
This finding aid encompasses accessions of materials pertaining to Edward Pelham Brenton.
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Brenton Correspondence is the physical property of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. Literary rights, including copyright, belong to the authors or their legal heirs and assigns. For further information, consult the appropriate curator.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 box)
Letters to Brenton regarding his book, "The Naval History of Great Britain." Mainly compliments to Brenton on the book. Some express interest in purchasing it, and some offer to give further information to help his research. Some, including George Cockburn, James De Saumarez, Richard Keats, and David Milne, include further information in their letters.
This finding aid was produced from a previously existing card set in the Manuscripts Catalog, or from another inventory. All pertinent bibliographical information has been retained. If the collection also contains unlisted or unsorted material, this has been noted in the box-and-folder list.
- Brenton, Edward Pelham, 1774-1839
- Cockburn, George, Sir, 1772-1853
- De Saumarez, James Saumarez, Baron, 1757-1836
- Great Britain -- History, Naval -- 18th century
- Great Britain -- History, Naval -- 19th century
- Keats, Richard Goodwin, Sir, 1757-1834
- Milne, David, Sir, 1763-1845
- Naval history of Great Britain, from the year MDCCLXXXIII to MDCCCXXII
- Guide to the Brenton Correspondence
- by Beinecke Staff
- June 1996
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English
- 2010-02-10: Transformed with yale.addEadidUrl.xsl. Adds @url with handle for finding aid. Overwrites @url if already present.
- 2007-08-13: beinecke.bren.xml converted for compliance with Yale EAD Best Practice Guidelines with brbl-migrate-01.xsl (mr2007-08-13).
- 2007-03-08: PUBLIC "-//Yale University::Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library//TEXT (US::CtYBR::::[BRENTON CORRESPONDENCE ])//EN" "bren.xml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).