Photographs of Arizona, Cambodia, New Mexico, and the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation
A panoramic photograph of Arizona shows a "wheatpaste" photographic poster mural at a construction site by physician photographer James Edward Thomas, also known as Chip Thomas or "jetsonorama."
Photographs of New Mexico include views at Almagordo, the White Sands Missile Range Museum, and White Sands National Monument.
Photographs of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation document activities at the Oglala Lakota Nation Wacipi Rodeo Fair held at the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, August 2011, which include a traditional pow wow parade and dancing, as well as participants and spectators at a basketball tournament, hip hop dancing competition, and rap music contest. Other images of the reservation include views of the gravesite of Red Cloud at the Holy Rosary Mission Church Cemetery, the Lakota Baptist Church, Yellow Bear Dam, parks, and playgrounds, as well as portraits of Lakota and Oglala individuals and groups.
Signed, titled, and dated by the photographer on versos of prints.
- Willis, John, 1957- (Author)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Immediate Source of Acquisition
10 Linear Feet (7 boxes)
John Willis (born 1957)
- Alamogordo (N.M.) -- Pictorial works
- Arizona -- Pictorial works
- Basketball -- Tournaments -- South Dakota -- Pine Ridge Indian Reservation -- Pictorial works
- Cambodia -- Pictorial works
- Hip-hop dance -- South Dakota -- Pine Ridge Indian Reservation -- Pictorial works
- Indian dance -- South Dakota -- Pine Ridge Indian Reservation -- Pictorial works
- Indians of North America -- South Dakota -- Pine Ridge Indian Reservation -- Pictorial works
- Indians of North America -- South Dakota -- Pine Ridge Indian Reservation -- Portraits
- Inkjet prints
- Lakota Indians -- Pictorial works
- Lakota Indians -- Portraits
- New Mexico -- Pictorial works
- Oglala Indians -- Pictorial works
- Oglala Indians -- Portraits
- Oglala Sioux Tribe -- Pictorial works
- Panoramic photographs
- Phnom Penh (Cambodia) -- Pictorial works
- Photographic prints
- Pine Ridge (S.D.) -- Pictorial works
- Pine Ridge Indian Reservation (S.D.) -- Pictorial works
- Powwows -- South Dakota -- Pine Ridge Indian Reservation -- Pictorial works
- Rap (Music) -- South Dakota -- Pine Ridge Indian Reservation -- Pictorial works
- Red Cloud, 1822-1909 -- Death and burial -- Pictorial works.
- Sepulchral monuments -- South Dakota -- Pine Ridge Indian Reservation -- Pictorial works
- South Dakota -- Pictorial works
- Thomas, James Edward, 1957-
- White Sands Missile Range (N.M.) -- Pictorial works
- White Sands National Monument -- Pictorial works
- Yellow Bull, Jennifer -- Portraits
- Guide to the John Willis Photographs of Arizona, Cambodia, New Mexico, and the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation
- Matthew Daniel Mason
- October 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library Repository
P. O. Box 208330
New Haven CT 06520-8330 US
121 Wall Street
New Haven, CT 06511
The Beinecke Library is open to all Yale University students and faculty, and visiting researchers whose work requires use of its special collections. You will need to bring appropriate photo ID the first time you register. Beinecke is a non-circulating, closed stack library. Paging is done by library staff during business hours. You can request collection material online at least two business days in advance of your visit, using the request links in Archives at Yale. For more information, please see Planning Your Research Visit and consult the Reading Room Policies prior to visiting the library.