Civil War. Collection of letters and state papers, apparently from the papers of John Pym
Scope and Contents
The following finding aid is a complete inventory of the contents of Osborn fb94. This list was reformatted from previously existing cataloging.
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Osborn fb94 is the physical property of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. Literary rights, including copyright, belong to the authors or their legal heirs and assigns. For further information, consult the appropriate curator.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
For provenance information, consult the appropriate curator.
0.15 Linear Feet (1 volume)
Language of Materials
Collection of 28 letters and other documents, many written to John Pym and all concerned with military activities of the Parliamentary army during the English Civil War. Numerous writers request financial assistance, food, clothing, and arms for their soldiers, including Alexander Carew, who asks for money and arms to combat an uprising in Cornwall; Sir William Balfour, who requests back pay for his services as commissary and captain of a troop in Ireland and requests two months' advance for his soldiers, or else they will be unable to subsist; and William Jephson, who begs Pym to be as active for him in Parliament as his soldiers have been on the field, and who are now in rags without enough food to eat. Other letters report on threats of armed uprisings and on the movements of King Charles I as well as the movements of Queen Henrietta Maria at The Hague.
This finding aid was produced from a previously existing list or card set. All pertinent bibliographical information has been retained; the volume may contain additional unlisted material.
- Bedford, William Russell, Duke of, 1613-1700
- Charles, King of England, I, 1600-1649
- England -- Foreign relations -- Scotland
- Essex, Robert Devereux, Earl of, 1591-1646
- Great Britain -- History -- Civil War, 1642-1649
- Great Britain -- History -- Civil War, 1642-1649 -- Campaigns
- Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1625-1649
- Great Britain. Army
- Great Britain. Parliament
- Henrietta Maria, Queen, consort of Charles I, King of England, 1609-1669
- Manchester, Edward Montagu, Earl of, 1602-1671
- Nicholas, Edward, Sir, 1593-1669
- Northumberland, Algernon Percy, Earl of, 1602-1668
- Pym, John, 1584-1643
- Scotland -- Foreign relations -- England
- Strickland, Walter, -1670
- Guide to the Civil War, Collection of Letters and Papers
- Under Revision
- by Beinecke Staff
- August 2005
- Description rules
- Beinecke Manuscript Unit Archival Processing Manual
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library Repository
P. O. Box 208330
New Haven CT 06520-8330 US
121 Wall Street
New Haven, CT 06511
The Beinecke Library is open to all Yale University students and faculty, and visiting researchers whose work requires use of its special collections. You will need to bring appropriate photo ID the first time you register. Beinecke is a non-circulating, closed stack library. Paging is done by library staff during business hours. You can request collection material online at least two business days in advance of your visit, using the request links in Archives at Yale. For more information, please see Planning Your Research Visit and consult the Reading Room Policies prior to visiting the library.