Father Carney Gavin legacy collection of Holy Land photographs
Scope and Contents
The bulk of the records consists of six collections: portfolios of albumen prints of street scenes and buildings of Cairo assembled by Arthur Rhoné, author of an early French guidebook for Egypt; modern platinum and silver gelatin prints of Jerusalem, created by photographer John Barnier in the early 1990s from original collodion wet plate negatives of Diness; photograph albums and prints of Egypt, Syria, and Palestine, collected by physician Ralph C. Marcove; cartes-de-visite owned by Catherine C. Haynes, a teacher at Robert College in Istanbul in the 1870s; albumen prints of Mecca and Medina by Muḥammad Ṣādiq Bey, an Egyptian army engineer; and photograph albums and prints assembled by Mathilde Pfeiffer, wife of archaeologist Robert Pfeiffer, showing Harvard University-Baghdad School excavations in Kirkuk, Iraq, and the couple's travels in Egypt, Palestine, and Greece in the 1920s. The Pfeiffer collection also contains film reels of the Holy Land, Baalbek, and Kirkuk, and Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Also included are Ermete Pierotti's Jerusalem explored, two portfolios containing photographs of Mecca and Medina by al-Sayyid 'Abd al-Ghaffār, glass lantern slides depicting the Middle East, the Americas, and Europe, and professional papers of Carney Gavin, as well as film of the Kirkuk excavation, shot by Fogg Art Museum archaeologist Richard F. S. Starr in 1929, and film of travel to Egypt and Palestine in the 1920s.
- Majority of material found within 1860-1993
- Gavin, Carney E. S. (Collector)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Boxes 55-63 (computer media): Restricted fragile material. Access copies of digital files may be requested. Consult Access Services for further information.
Boxes 64-68 (audiovisual material): Restricted fragile material. Reference copies may be requested. Consult Access Services for further information.
Conditions Governing Use
Immediate Source of Acquisition
67.40 Linear Feet ((67 boxes) + 1 broadside)
Carney E. S. Gavin (1939-2014)
Information included in the Description of Papers note and Collection Contents section is drawn from information supplied with the collection and from an initial survey of the contents. Folder titles appearing in the contents list below are are based on those provided by the creators or previous custodians. Titles have not been verified against the contents of the folders in all cases. Otherwise, folder titles are supplied by staff during initial processing.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Abdullah frères
- Adelphoi Zangaki (Firm)
- Albumen prints
- American School of Oriental Research in Baghdad
- Archives for Historical Documentation (Brighton, Boston, Mass.)
- Audiovisual materials
- Barnier, John
- Cabinet photographs
- Cartes-de-visite (card photographs)
- Children -- Middle East -- Pictorial works
- Christian shrines -- Israel -- Pictorial works
- Christian shrines -- Palestine -- Pictorial works
- Diness, M. J. (Mendel John)
- Egypt -- Antiquities
- Egypt -- Pictorial works
- Excavations (Archaeology) -- Iraq
- Frith, Francis
- Gavin, Carney E. S.
- Gelatin silver prints
- Greece -- Pictorial works
- Harvard Semitic Museum
- Haynes, Catherine C.
- Islamic architecture
- Jerusalem -- Antiquities
- Jerusalem -- Description and travel
- Jerusalem -- Pictorial works
- Jordan -- Pictorial works
- Lantern slides
- Lebanon -- Pictorial works
- Lekegian, G., active 1880-approximately 1920
- Maison Bonfils (Beirut, Lebanon)
- Marcove, Ralph C.
- Mecca (Saudi Arabia) -- Pictorial works
- Medina (Saudi Arabia) -- Pictorial works
- Middle East -- Antiquities
- Middle East -- Description and travel
- Middle East -- Pictorial works
- Missionaries -- Turkey
- Mosques -- Egypt -- Pictorial works
- Mosques -- Jerusalem -- Pictorial works
- Motion pictures (visual works)
- Museum curators -- United States -- 20th Century
- Palestine -- Antiquities
- Palestine -- Pictorial works
- Pfeiffer, Mathilde, 1893-1988
- Pfeiffer, Robert H. (Robert Henry), 1892-1958
- Pierotti, Ermete
- Platinum prints
- Rhoné, Arthur, 1836-1910
- Robert College (Istanbul, Turkey)
- Sebah & Joaillier
- Starr, Richard F. S. (Richard Francis Strong), 1900-
- Synagogues -- Israel -- Pictorial works
- Syria -- Antiquities
- Syria -- Pictorial works
- Sébah, J. P. (Jean P.)
- Tombs & sepulchral monuments
- Travel photography
- Underwood & Underwood
- Women -- Middle East -- Pictorial works
- ʻAbd al-Ghaffār, al-Sayyid Aḥmad
- Ṣādiq, Muḥammad, 1822 or 1823-1902 or 1903
- Guide to the Father Carney Gavin Legacy Collection of Holy Land Photographs
- by Brooke McManus
- September 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library Repository
P. O. Box 208330
New Haven CT 06520-8330 US
121 Wall Street
New Haven, CT 06511
The Beinecke Library is open to all Yale University students and faculty, and visiting researchers whose work requires use of its special collections. You will need to bring appropriate photo ID the first time you register. Beinecke is a non-circulating, closed stack library. Paging is done by library staff during business hours. You can request collection material online at least two business days in advance of your visit, using the request links in Archives at Yale. For more information, please see Planning Your Research Visit and consult the Reading Room Policies prior to visiting the library.