Alfred Stieglitz collection of photogravures from Camera work
Scope and Contents
There are 18 photogravures for nine photographs by Stieglitz, including portraits and images of turn-of-the-century industrial modernism and New York City. Works include his well-known "The Steerage" (1907), which appeared in Camera work Number 36 (October 1911), as well as "The Hand of man" (1902), "The Aeroplane" (1910), "The Mauretania" (1910) and "Snapshot -- From my window, New York" (1907). Portraits by Steichen include Auguste Rodin and G. B. Shaw.
Collection description for each print includes the known or approximate image creation dates, the date (year) of printing, physical measurements, and publication information.
- 1902 - 1920
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Immediate Source of Acquisition
0.21 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
Alfred Stieglitz (1864-1946) and Camera work (1903-1917)
Following Georgia O'Keeffe's death in 1986, materials in the Alfred Stieglitz Collection of Photogravures from Camera work (YCAL MSS 1389) were in the custody of Juan Hamilton until gifted to the library in 2020. Juan Hamilton is an American sculptor and painter who worked as an assistant to Georgia O'Keeffe from 1973 to 1986, during which time he became the executor and principal beneficiary of her estate. Following O'Keeffe's death, much of what was was left to him was turned over to her family's estate and select materials remained in his possession.
- Adamson, Prescott, 1863-1933
- Adamson, Robert
- Annan, J. Craig (James Craig), 1864-1946
- Art, Modern -- 20th Century
- Art, Modern -- 20th Century -- Periodicals
- Coburn, Alvin Langdon, 1882-1966
- Eugene, Frank, 1865-1936
- Herzog, F. Benedict (Felix Benedict), 1859-1912
- Keiley, Joseph T.
- Käsebier, Gertrude, 1852-1934
- New York (N.Y.) -- Pictorial works
- Photographers -- United States
- Photographic prints
- Photography, Artistic -- History
- Photogravures (prints)
- Rodin, Auguste, 1840-1917
- Shaw, Bernard, 1856-1950
- Steichen, Edward, 1879-1973
- Stieglitz, Alfred, 1864-1946
- White, Clarence H., 1871-1925
- Guide to Alfred Stieglitz Collection of Photogravures from Camera Work
- Michael L. Forstrom and Matthew D. Mason
- September 2, 2021
- Description rules
- Rules for Archival Description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library Repository
P. O. Box 208330
New Haven CT 06520-8330 US
121 Wall Street
New Haven, CT 06511
The Beinecke Library is open to all Yale University students and faculty, and visiting researchers whose work requires use of its special collections. You will need to bring appropriate photo ID the first time you register. Beinecke is a non-circulating, closed stack library. Paging is done by library staff during business hours. You can request collection material online at least two business days in advance of your visit, using the request links in Archives at Yale. For more information, please see Planning Your Research Visit and consult the Reading Room Policies prior to visiting the library.