- Scope and Contents
The Franz R. and Kathryn M. Stenzel Collection of Western American Art Addition consists of thirty-two works of art, twenty Native American artifacts, and various manuscript items, which decorated the home of Kathryn M. Stenzel until her death in 2007 and which comprise the remainder of the Franz R. and Kathryn M. Stenzel Collection of Western American Art that they donated in 1997. This addition to the collection likewise reflects the Stenzels' interest in visual imagery of the American Northwest of the 19th and early 20th centuries. Included are works by Charles Marion Russell, Cleveland Rockwell, Albert Bierstadt, George Catlin, F. O. C. Darley, Harrison Eastman, William Harnett, Alfred Jacob Miller, E. S. Paxson, Frederic Remington, Severin Roesen, John Mix Stanley, Guy Wiggins, and Theodore Wores. The works are executed in a variety of media: oil paintings, watercolors, pen-and-ink drawings, chromolithographs, and sculpture. The Native American artifacts include clay urns, rattles, masks, carved totems, fishing hooks, a leather drum, a drum stick-rock, a quirt, a spear, a carved seal club, a pre-Columbian pot, a pestle, and a grease dish. The collection also includes Christmas cards designed by Charles Marion Russell as well as letters from him to Charles Joy and Charles Schatzlein.
- Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
- Conditions Governing Use
The Franz R. and Kathryn M. Stenzel Collection of Western American Art Addition is the physical property of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. Literary rights, including copyright, belong to the authors or their legal heirs and assigns. For further information, consult the appropriate curator.
- Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bequest of Kathryn M. Stenzel, 2007.
The collection is largely organized by format or media.
- 17 Linear Feet ((12 boxes) + 13 art storage items, 1 object storage item, 2 broadsides)
- Related Names
- Stenzel, Franz
- Bierstadt, Albert, 1830-1902
- Catlin, George, 1796-1872
- Darley, Felix Octavius Carr, 1822-1888
- Eastman, Harrison, approximately 1823-
- Harnett, William Michael, 1848-1892
- Miller, Alfred Jacob, 1810-1874
- Paxson, E. S., 1852-1919
- Remington, Frederic, 1861-1909
- Rockwell, Cleveland, 1837-1907
- Roesen, Severin, approximately 1815-approximately 1872
- Russell, Charles M. (Charles Marion), 1864-1926
- Stanley, John Mix, 1814-1872
- Stenzel, Kathryn M. (Kathryn Mathison)
- Wiggins, Guy C. (Guy Carleton), 1883-1962
- Wores, Theodore, 1858-1939
- Language of Materials