Peter Palmquist collection of Humboldt County, California, male photographers
Scope and Contents
- [circa 1850]-2003
- Majority of material found within 1973 - 2003
- Palmquist, Peter E. (Collector)
Conditions Governing Access
Boxes 148-160: Restricted Fragile Materials.For further information consult the appropriate curator.
Conditions Governing Use
Immediate Source of Acquisition
53.12 Linear Feet ((160 boxes) + 3 broadside folders)
Language of Materials
Peter E. Palmquist (1936-2003)
From 1971 until his death, Palmquist collected textual materials and hundreds of thousands of photographic items documenting the practice and occupation of photography from its beginning through the turn of the twenty-first century. He had particular interests in early California photographers, photographers of the American West, and women photographers.
A self-trained researcher and historian of photography, Palmquist organized more than a hundred exhibitions and wrote more than three hundred articles and a hundred monographs. He was a founding editor of The Daguerreian Annual ; president of the National Stereoscopic Association.
Palmquist died January 13, 2003, in Oakland.
- Art-Ray Company
- Baker, Ray Jerome, 1880-1972
- Biography files
- California -- Pictorial works
- Ericson, A. W. (Augustus William), 1848-1927
- Flaglor, Amasa Plummer, 1848-1918
- Freeman Art Co
- Holmes, Alexius Alexander, 1865-1922
- Humboldt County (Calif.)
- Humboldt County (Calif.) -- Pictorial works
- Negatives (photographs)
- Palmquist, Peter E.
- Photograph albums
- Photographers -- Bio-bibliography
- Photographers -- Biography
- Photographers -- California
- Photographers -- History
- Photographers -- Miscellanea
- Photographers -- Pictorial works
- Photographers -- West (U.S.)
- Photographic prints
- Photography -- Bio-bibliography
- Photography -- California
- Photography -- West (U.S.)
- Photography, Artistic
- Seely Studio
- Slides (photographs)
- Strong, N. B.
- Union (Arcata, Calif.)
- Vansant, Joshua P., 1861-1950
- West (U.S.) -- Pictorial works
- Guide to the Peter Palmquist Collection of Humboldt County, California, Male Photographers
- by Matthew Daniel Mason
- November 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library Repository
P. O. Box 208330
New Haven CT 06520-8330 US
121 Wall Street
New Haven, CT 06511
The Beinecke Library is open to all Yale University students and faculty, and visiting researchers whose work requires use of its special collections. You will need to bring appropriate photo ID the first time you register. Beinecke is a non-circulating, closed stack library. Paging is done by library staff during business hours. You can request collection material online at least two business days in advance of your visit, using the request links in Archives at Yale. For more information, please see Planning Your Research Visit and consult the Reading Room Policies prior to visiting the library.