Peter Palmquist collection of male photographers in the American west
Scope and Contents
- circa 1840-2003
- Palmquist, Peter E. (Collector)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Immediate Source of Acquisition
160.34 Linear Feet ((592 boxes) + 3 broadside folders)
Language of Materials
Peter E. Palmquist (1936-2003)
From 1971 until his death, Palmquist collected textual materials and hundreds of thousands of photographic items documenting the practice and occupation of photography from its beginning through the turn of the twenty-first century. He had particular interests in early California photographers, photographers of the American West, and women photographers.
A self-trained researcher and historian of photography, Palmquist organized more than a hundred exhibitions and wrote more than three hundred articles and a hundred monographs. He was a founding editor of The Daguerreian Annual, and a president of the National Stereoscopic Association.
Palmquist died January 13, 2003, in Oakland.
This collection received a basic level of processing in 2011-2012, including rehousing and organization. Collections are processed to a variety of levels, depending on the work necessary to make them usable, their perceived research value, the availability of staff, competing priorities, and whether or not further accruals are expected. The library attempts to provide a basic level of preservation and access for all collections, and does more extensive processing of higher priority collections as time and resources permit.
- Aston, Frank C., 1871-1966
- Biography files
- Bradley & Rulofson
- Bushnell Photo Company
- Fitch, Walter T.
- Heller, Louis Herman, 1839-1928
- Houseworth, Thomas, 1829-1915
- Howland, Benjamin Franklin, 1828-1900
- Imperial Studio (San Francisco, Calif.)
- Johnson, C. W. J. (Charles Wallace Jacob), 1833-1903
- Morse, George Daniels, 1835-
- Negatives (photographs)
- Palmquist, Peter E.
- Photograph albums
- Photographers -- Biography
- Photographers -- California
- Photographers -- West (U.S.)
- Photographic prints
- Photography -- Bio-bibliography
- Photography -- California
- Photography -- West (U.S.)
- Photography, Artistic
- Spooner, John Pitcher
- Taber, I. W. (Isaiah West), 1830-1912
- Vance, Robert H., 1825-1876
- Watkins, Carleton E., 1829-1916
- Weed, Chester L.
- West (U.S.) -- Pictorial works
- Guide to the Peter E. Palmquist Collection of Male Photographers in the American West
- by Matthew Daniel Mason
- July 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library Repository
P. O. Box 208330
New Haven CT 06520-8330 US
121 Wall Street
New Haven, CT 06511
The Beinecke Library is open to all Yale University students and faculty, and visiting researchers whose work requires use of its special collections. You will need to bring appropriate photo ID the first time you register. Beinecke is a non-circulating, closed stack library. Paging is done by library staff during business hours. You can request collection material online at least two business days in advance of your visit, using the request links in Archives at Yale. For more information, please see Planning Your Research Visit and consult the Reading Room Policies prior to visiting the library.