Peter E. Palmquist photographs
Scope and Contents
- circa 1950-2003
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Immediate Source of Acquisition
44.3 Linear Feet ((109 boxes) + 7 broadsides.)
Language of Materials
A record for this collection is available in Orbis, the Yale University Library catalog
Peter E. Palmquist (1936-2003)
From 1971 until his death, Palmquist collected textual materials and hundreds of thousands of photographic items documenting the practice and occupation of photography from its beginning through the turn of the twenty-first century. He had particular interest in early California photographers, photographers of the American West, and women photographers.
A self-trained researcher and historian of photography, Palmquist organized more than one hundred exhibitions and wrote more than three hundred articles and a hundred monographs. He was a founding editor of The Daguerreian Annual, and a president of the National Stereoscopic Association.
Palmquist died January 13, 2003, in Oakland.
As a rule, descriptive information found in the Collection Contents section is drawn in large part from information supplied with the collection and from an initial survey of the contents. Folder titles appearing in the contents list below are often based on those provided by the creator or previous custodian. Titles have not been verified against the contents of the folders in all cases. Otherwise, folder titles are supplied by staff during initial processing.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
Much of the collection remains in Palmquist's orginal housing and represent his original order for the material.
Former call number: Uncat Mss 509
- Belgium -- Pictorial works
- California -- Pictorial works
- California State University, Humboldt -- Pictorial works
- Cities and towns -- California -- Pictorial works
- England -- Pictorial works
- Floods -- California -- Humboldt County -- Pictorial works
- Gibraltar -- Pictorial works
- Humboldt County (Calif.)
- Humboldt County (Calif.) -- Pictorial works
- Humboldt County (Calif.) -- Social life and customs -- 1961-2003
- Humboldt State College -- Pictorial works
- Italy -- Pictorial works
- Malta -- Pictorial works
- Negatives (photographs)
- Netherlands -- Pictorial works
- Palmquist, Peter E.
- Paris (France) -- Pictorial works
- Photographers -- California
- Photographers -- History
- Photographers -- West (U.S.)
- Photographic prints
- Photography -- California
- Photography -- History
- Photography -- West (U.S.)
- Photography, Artistic
- Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe -- Pictorial works
- Switzerland -- Pictorial works
- Tourism -- Europe
- United States. Army (Photographers)
- Wedding photography -- California -- Humboldt County
- Weddings -- Pictorial works
- West (U.S.) -- Pictorial works
- Guide to the Peter E. Palmquist Photographs
- by Matthew Daniel Mason
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library Repository
P. O. Box 208330
New Haven CT 06520-8330 US
121 Wall Street
New Haven, CT 06511
The Beinecke Library is open to all Yale University students and faculty, and visiting researchers whose work requires use of its special collections. You will need to bring appropriate photo ID the first time you register. Beinecke is a non-circulating, closed stack library. Paging is done by library staff during business hours. You can request collection material online at least two business days in advance of your visit, using the request links in Archives at Yale. For more information, please see Planning Your Research Visit and consult the Reading Room Policies prior to visiting the library.