Josephine Schlenk and Sophie Schlenk photographs of theatrical performers collection
Scope and Contents
Promotional photographs of theater performers collected by sisters Josephine Schlenk and Sophie Schlenk, 1927-1930. The Schlenk sisters were cast members of the musical, Gay Paree, directed by Jacob J. Shubert. Many of the photographs are portraits of their fellow cast members.
- 1927 - 1930
- Majority of material found within 1927 - 1930
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Josephine Schlenk and Sophie Schlenk Photographs of Theatrical Performers Collection is the physical property of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. Literary rights, including copyright, belong to the authors or their legal heirs and assigns. For further information, consult the appropriate curator.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased from Ian Brabner, Bookseller, on the Elizabeth Wakeman Dwight Memorial Fund, 2006.
Photographs arranged alphabetically by the surname of the performer, followed by individuals with unidentified surnames, group portraits. The collection includes a program for Gay Paree at the Shubert Theatre February 6, 1928.
0.21 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Promotional photographs of theater performers collected by sisters Josephine Schlenk and Sophie Schlenk, 1927-1930. The Schlenk sisters were cast members of the musical, Gay Paree, directed by Jacob J. Shubert. Many of the photographs are portraits of their fellow cast members, as well as other theatrical performers. Portraits of individuals include the Schlenk sisters, as well as James Allatin, Alice Boulden, Irene Cornell, Patsy Costello, Dulcy Dowd, Bobby Pinkus, James Rennie, Charles "Chic" Sale, Richard Bernard "Red" Skelton, Eric Titus, Lillian Ward, and Lorraine Weimar. Interior group portraits show the cast of Gay Paree at Bob Berger's, a restaurant in Boston, Massachusetts, 1928. The collection includes a program for Gay Paree at the Shubert Theatre February 6, 1928.
- Actors -- Portraits
- Allatin, James, b. 1905 -- Portraits
- Boulden, Alice -- Portraits
- Cornell, Irene -- Portraits
- Costello, Patsy -- Portraits
- Dancers -- Pictorial works
- Dancers -- Portraits
- Dowd, Dulcy -- Portraits
- Entertainers -- Pictorial works
- Entertainers -- Portraits
- Photographic prints
- Pinkus, Bobby, b. 1908 -- Portraits
- Rennie, James, 1890-1965 -- Portraits
- Sale, Charles, 1885-1936 -- Portraits
- Schlenk, Josephine, 1908- -- Portraits
- Schlenk, Sophie, 1910- -- Portraits
- Shubert, Jacob J., 1878?-1963 -- Portraits
- Skelton, Red, 1913-1997 -- Portraits
- Studio portraits
- Theater -- New York (State) -- New York
- Theatrical companies -- Pictorial works
- Titus, Eric -- Portraits
- Ward, Lillian -- Portraits
- Weimar, Lorraine -- Portraits
- Guide to the Josephine Schlenk and Sophie Schlenk Photographs of Theatrical Performers Collection
- Under Revision
- by Matthew Daniel Mason
- November 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library Repository
P. O. Box 208330
New Haven CT 06520-8330 US
121 Wall Street
New Haven, CT 06511
The Beinecke Library is open to all Yale University students and faculty, and visiting researchers whose work requires use of its special collections. You will need to bring appropriate photo ID the first time you register. Beinecke is a non-circulating, closed stack library. Paging is done by library staff during business hours. You can request collection material online at least two business days in advance of your visit, using the request links in Archives at Yale. For more information, please see Planning Your Research Visit and consult the Reading Room Policies prior to visiting the library.