Scope and Contents
Conditions Governing Access
Box 33 (sound recordings): Restricted fragile material. Reference copies may be requested. Consult Access Services for further information.
Conditions Governing Use
Immediate Source of Acquisition
27.34 Linear Feet (33 boxes)
Barbara Howes (1914-1996)
From 1943 until 1947 she was editor of Chimera, with David Newton and Ximena de Angulo. A "little magazine," the journal published poetry by John Berryman, Richard Eberhart, Randall Jarrell, Kenneth Patchen, and others, as well as articles by such authors as Carl Jung, Thomas Mann, and Henry Miller.
Howes published seven collections of poetry: The Undersea Farmer (1948); In the Cold Country (1954); Light and Dark (1959); Looking Up at Leaves (1966); The Blue Garden (1977); A Private Signal: Poems New and Selected (1977); and Moving (1983). The Collectted Poems of Barbara Howes, 1945-1990 was published in 1995.
In addition, Howes also edited the anthologies From the Green Antilles: Writings of the Caribbean (1966) and The Eye of the Heart: Short Stories from Latin America (1970).
She married the poet William Jay Smith in 1947, and they lived for a time in England and Italy before settling in Vermont. They had two sons, Gregory Jay Smith and David Smith. The couple divorced in the mid-1960s, and thereafter Howes lived mostly a secluded life on her farm in Pownal, Vermont. Barbara Howes died in Bennington, Vermont in February, 1996.
Information included in the Description of Papers note and Collection Contents section is drawn from information supplied with the collection in appraisal documentation and from an initial survey of the contents. Folder titles appearing in the contents list below are almost entirely based on those provided on the original folders and/or supplied by the dealer. Titles have not been verified against the contents of the folders in all cases. Otherwise, folder titles are supplied by staff during basic processing.
Descriptive information drawn from the dealer documentation has not been edited for stylistic consistency.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Adams, Léonie, 1899-1988
- American literature -- 20th Century
- American literature -- Women authors
- American poetry -- 20th Century
- Audiovisual materials -- United States -- 20th Century
- Authors -- United States -- 20th Century
- Authors, American -- 20th Century
- Authors, American -- 20th Century -- Archives
- Bishop, Elizabeth, 1911-1979
- Cowley, Malcolm, 1898-1989
- Howes, Barbara, 1914-1996
- Levertov, Denise, 1923-1997
- Merrill, James, 1926-1995
- Merwin, W. S. (William Stanley), 1927-
- Photographs -- United States -- 20th Century
- Poets -- United States -- 20th Century
- Poets, American -- 20th Century
- Poets, American -- 20th Century -- Archives
- Porter, Katherine Anne, 1890-1980
- Roethke, Theodore, 1908-1963
- Smith, William Jay, 1918-2015
- Wilbur, Richard, 1921-2017
- Women authors
- Guide to the Barbara Howes Papers
- by Beinecke Staff
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.