Stephen Vincent Benét and Rosemary Benét papers
Scope and Contents
Collection material is chiefly in English; with some material in French, German, Polish, and Swedish.
- 1829 - 1962
- Majority of material found within 1920 - 1943
Conditions Governing Access
Boxes 138-143: Restricted fragile material. Reference surrogates have been substituted in the main files. For further information consult the appropriate curator.
Conditions Governing Use
Immediate Source of Acquisition
87.54 Linear Feet (143 boxes + 3 broadsides)
Language of Materials
Stephen Vincent Benét (1898-1943) and Rosemary Benét (1900-1962)
Rosemary Benét, born Rosemary Carr, is the author of poems, book reviews, essays, and short stories. She and her husband co-authored A Book of Americans (1933), a book of poems for children about prominent figures in American history.
Bibliographic, biographical, and critical studies on Stephen Vincent and Rosemary Benét include books by Mary Dearing Lewis (1952), Charles A. Fenton (1958), David Garret Izzo and Lincoln Konkle (2003), and Evelyn Helmick Hively (2011). Summary information is also available in the standard print and online biographical resources.
Former call numbers: Za Benet, Uncat Za Ms 158, Za B435 +1, Za B436 +1, Za B436 +2, Za B436 +3, and Za B436 +S2.
- Abbe, George, 1911-1989
- American literature -- 20th century
- Authors -- United States -- 20th Century
- Authors, American -- 20th Century -- Archives
- Barry, Philip, 1896-1949
- Benét, Rosemary, 1900-1962
- Benét, Stephen Vincent, 1898-1943
- Bingham, Hiram, 1875-1956
- Brandt & Brandt
- Carter, John Franklin, 1897-1967
- Council for Democracy
- Cousins, Norman, 1912-1990
- Cross, Wilbur L. (Wilbur Lucius), 1862-1948
- Dos Passos, John, 1896-1970
- Doubleday, Doran & Company
- Engle, Paul, 1908-1991
- Europe -- Social life and customs -- 20th Century
- Farrar & Rinehart
- Fenton, Charles A., 1919-1960
- Ficke, Arthur Davison, 1883-1945
- Fletcher, John Gould, 1886-1950
- Lewis, Sinclair, 1885-1951
- MacLeish, Archibald, 1892-1982
- McClure, Robert E.
- Moore, Douglas, 1893-1969
- Myers, Richard, 1901-1977
- Nathan, Robert, 1894-1985
- Patchen, Kenneth, 1911-1972
- Photographic prints
- Poets -- United States -- 20th Century
- Poets, American -- 20th Century -- Archives
- Potter, Beatrix, 1866-1943
- Rukeyser, Muriel, 1913-1980
- Sandburg, Carl, 1878-1967
- Semple, Ellen Churchill, 1863-1932
- Wilder, Thornton, 1897-1975
- Yale University. Alumni
- Guide to the Stephen Vincent Benét and Rosemary Benét Papers
- By Michael L. Forstrom
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library Repository
P. O. Box 208330
New Haven CT 06520-8330 US
121 Wall Street
New Haven, CT 06511
The Beinecke Library is open to all Yale University students and faculty, and visiting researchers whose work requires use of its special collections. You will need to bring appropriate photo ID the first time you register. Beinecke is a non-circulating, closed stack library. Paging is done by library staff during business hours. You can request collection material online at least two business days in advance of your visit, using the request links in Archives at Yale. For more information, please see Planning Your Research Visit and consult the Reading Room Policies prior to visiting the library.