Ralph Waldo Emerson collection
Scope and Contents
The Ralph Waldo Emerson Collection contains correspondence, manuscripts, photographs, and artwork documenting the life and work of Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Ralph Waldo Emerson Collection is the physical property of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. Literary rights, including copyright, belong to the authors or their legal heirs and assigns. For further information, consult the appropriate curator.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquired by gift and purchase from various sources.
Organized into five series: I. Owen Franklin Aldis Gift, 1837-1877. II. Kenneth W. Cameron Gifts, 1793-1871. III. Julia Millhiser Gimbel Gift, 1872. IV. Eliza Brush Pirsson Gift, 1848-1932. V. Material from Other Sources, 1832-1937.
0.54 Linear Feet ((2 boxes) + 1 art + 1 broadside folder)
Language of Materials
The Emerson collection contains correspondence, manuscripts, photographs, and prints documenting the life and work of Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
Collections are processed to a variety of levels, depending on the work necessary to make them usable, their perceived research value, the availability of staff, competing priorities, and whether or not further accruals are expected. The library attempts to provide a basic level of preservation and access for all collections, and does more extensive processing of higher priority collections as time and resources permit.
- Alger, William Rounseville, 1822-1905
- Allingham, William, 1824-1889
- American literature -- 19th century
- Authors, American -- 19th century
- Authors, American -- 19th century -- Archives
- Botta, Anne C. Lynch (Anne Charlotte Lynch), 1815-1891
- Carlyle, Thomas, 1795-1881
- Concord (Mass.)
- Cowdin, Elliot C. (Elliot Christopher), 1819-1880
- Cross, Wilbur L. (Wilbur Lucius), 1862-1948
- Daguerreotypes (photographs) -- United States -- 19th century
- Emerson, Ellen Tucker
- Emerson, P. H. (Peter Henry), 1856-1936
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo, 1803-1882
- Emerson, William, 1769-1811
- Engravings (prints) -- United States -- 19th century
- Fields, James Thomas, 1817-1881
- Ganz, Charles
- Linton, W. J. (William James), 1812-1897
- Lithographs -- United States -- 19th century
- Neuberg, Joseph, 1806-1867
- Photographic prints -- United States -- 19th century
- Photogravures (prints) -- United States -- 19th century
- Pirsson, Eliza Brush, 1865-1960
- Pirsson, Louis V. (Louis Valentine), 1860-1919
- Ross, Alexander Milton, 1832-1897
- Royal Photographic Society of Great Britain
- Scudder, Townsend, 1900-
- Towne, E. C. (Edward Cornelius), 1834-1911
- Guide to the Ralph Waldo Emerson Collection
- by Beinecke Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library Repository
P. O. Box 208330
New Haven CT 06520-8330 US
121 Wall Street
New Haven, CT 06511
The Beinecke Library is open to all Yale University students and faculty, and visiting researchers whose work requires use of its special collections. You will need to bring appropriate photo ID the first time you register. Beinecke is a non-circulating, closed stack library. Paging is done by library staff during business hours. You can request collection material online at least two business days in advance of your visit, using the request links in Archives at Yale. For more information, please see Planning Your Research Visit and consult the Reading Room Policies prior to visiting the library.