Algernon Swinburne collection
Call Number: GEN MSS 303
Scope and Contents
This finding aid encompasses accessions of single manuscripts and small groups of manuscripts and other papers, by or pertaining to Algernon Swinburne, which the library has chosen to group and list as an artificial collection.
- 1854 - 1908
Total Boxes: ongoing
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Algernon Swinburne Collection is the physical property of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. Literary rights, including copyright, belong to the authors or their legal heirs and assigns. For further information, consult the appropriate curator.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Ongoing collection of documents acquired by gift and purchase from various sources. Source information is recorded on the folders. For further information, consult the appropriate curator.
3.34 Linear Feet (8 boxes)
The collection consists of letters and manuscripts by Swinburne, including letters to Robert Browning; Andrew Chatto; John Camden Hotten; Joseph Knight; Thomas Purnell; Dante Gabriel, William Michael, and Christina Rossetti; William Bell Scott; Richard Herne Shepherd, and Theodore Watts-Dunton. Manuscripts of Swinburne's writings include working drafts of poems, the Chorus from Atalanta in Calydon, an early draft of Hymn to Proserpine, proofs of Channel Passage, and manuscripts of several prose works.
Total Boxes: ongoing
This finding aid was produced from previously existing cards in the Manuscripts Catalog, or from another inventory. All pertinent bibliographical information has been retained. If the collection also contains unlisted or unsorted material, it has been noted in the box-and-folder list. This finding aid will be updated periodically to account for new materials that may be added to the collection. The date of the most recent update is noted on the title page. For information on material that may have been added since the last update, please consult the Public Service Desk.
- Browning, Robert, 1812-1889
- Chatto & Windus (Firm)
- Chatto, Andrew, 1841-1913
- English poetry -- 19th century
- Hotten, John Camden, 1832-1873
- Knight, Joseph, 1829-1907
- Purnell, Thomas, 1834-1889
- Rossetti, Christina Georgina, 1830-1894
- Rossetti, Dante Gabriel, 1828-1882
- Rossetti, William Michael, 1829-1919
- Scott, William Bell, 1811-1890
- Shepherd, Richard Herne, 1842-1895
- Swinburne, Algernon Charles, 1837-1909
- Watts-Dunton, Theodore, 1832-1914
- Guide to the Algernon Swinburne Collection
- by Beinecke Staff
- July 1999
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English
- 2010-02-10: Transformed with yale.addEadidUrl.xsl. Adds @url with handle for finding aid. Overwrites @url if already present.
- 2007-08-13: beinecke.swinbur.xml converted for compliance with Yale EAD Best Practice Guidelines with brbl-migrate-01.xsl (mr2007-08-13).
- 2007-03-08: PUBLIC "-//Yale University::Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library//TEXT (US::CtYBR::::[ALGERNON SWINBURNE COLLECTION ])//EN" "swinbur.xml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).