Fishing manuscripts collection
Scope and Contents
The Fishing Manuscripts Collection consists of manuscripts, typescripts, photographs, and other documents relating to fishing, flies for fishing, and fishing trips taken. Most of the items were formerly in the collection of David Wagstaff (1882-1951).
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Fishing Manuscripts Collection is the physical property of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. Literary rights, including copyright, belong to the authors or their legal heirs and assigns. For further information, consult the appropriate curator.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Isabelle Tilford Wagstaff, 1951-1953. Purchased from Wormser on the David Wagstaff Memorial Fund, 1952. Gift of Vernon S. Hidy, 1968, 1975. Gift of Lindley Eberstadt, 1969. Purchased from Henry Bristow on the Jonathan O. Bulkley Fund, 1994. Purchased from Rodolphe Chamonal on the David Wagstaff Fund, 2003. For further information see Collections Contents list.
Arranged by previously assigned consecutive numbers.
2.21 Linear Feet (6 boxes)
Language of Materials
Collection consists of manuscripts, typescripts, photographs, and other documents relating to fishing, flies for fishing, and fishing trips taken in England and North America. Most of the items were formerly in the collection of David Wagstaff.
David Wagstaff (1882-1951)
David Wagstaff, broker, sportsman and collector of sporting books, paintings and prints, served as the Curator of Sporting Books in the Yale University Library from 1943 to 1951.
Descriptions in the Collections Contents list were taken from existing catalogue cards.
Former call numbers: MS Vault Shelves Fishing, Uncat MS Vault 756, Uncas MSS 553
- Adirondack Mountains (N.Y.)
- Bainbridge, Geo. C. (George Cole), 1788-1839
- Bainbridge, George Cole -- Bookplate
- Barker, Thomas, active 1651
- Brady, Cyrus Townsend, 1861-1920
- Denison, Alfred -- Bookplate
- Drawings (visual works)
- Fitzgibbon, Edward, 1803-1857
- Flies, Artificial
- Fly fishing
- Gosden, Thomas, 1780-1843
- Gosden, Thomas, 1780-1843 -- Bookplate
- Guise, William V. -- Bookplate
- Harrison, George, 1872-1956
- Heckscher, John Gerard -- Bookplate
- Holberton, Wakeman
- Jackson, John, of Tanfield Mill
- Lathy, Thomas Pike, 1771-1841
- Leisenring, James E.
- Lum, Frederick Harvey
- Restigouche River (N.B. and Québec)
- Sage, Dean, 1841-1902 -- Bookplate
- Sharswood, George, 1810-1883
- Slaney, Moreton Aglionby, 1765-1817
- Thorold, John Hayford, Sir, 1773-1831
- Wagstaff, David, 1882-1951
- Wagstaff, David, 1882-1951 -- Bookplate
- Watercolors (paintings)
- Willis Bund, J. W. (John William), 1843-1928
- Guide to the Fishing Manuscripts Collection
- by Beinecke Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library Repository
P. O. Box 208330
New Haven CT 06520-8330 US
121 Wall Street
New Haven, CT 06511
The Beinecke Library is open to all Yale University students and faculty, and visiting researchers whose work requires use of its special collections. You will need to bring appropriate photo ID the first time you register. Beinecke is a non-circulating, closed stack library. Paging is done by library staff during business hours. You can request collection material online at least two business days in advance of your visit, using the request links in Archives at Yale. For more information, please see Planning Your Research Visit and consult the Reading Room Policies prior to visiting the library.