Scope and Contents
This collection contains materials pertaining to W. E. B. Dubois.
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The W. E. B. Dubois Collection is the physical property of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. Literary rights, including copyright, belong to the authors or their legal heirs and assigns. For further information, consult the appropriate curator.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The W. E. B. DuBois Collection contains items presented to the James Weldon Johnson Collection by Mr. DuBois, by way of Carl Van Vechten, with additional items from other persons.
2 Linear Feet (5 boxes)
A record for this collection is available in Orbis, the Yale University Library catalog
The W. E. B. Du Bois Collection contains Correspondence, Writings, including drafts of Dusk of Dawn, and The World and Africa, and Subject Files.
W. E. B. DUBOIS (1868-1963)
W. E. B. Dubois secured his position as one of the key voices in the argument over the role of the black man in modern America through his seemingly endless works of social activism. He was an educator (at Fisk University and Atlanta University), a founder of the Niagara Movement (which later merged into the NAACP), the long-time editor of the NAACP publication, The Crisis, a lecturer, political activist, and prolific writer. His works include: The Souls of Black Folk, Dusk of Dawn, and an Autobiography (published posthumously).
This finding aid was produced from a previously existing manuscripts inventory. All pertinent information has been retained.
- Guide to the W.E.B. DuBois Collection
- by Beinecke Staff
- August 1996
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English
- 2010-02-10: Transformed with yale.addEadidUrl.xsl. Adds @url with handle for finding aid. Overwrites @url if already present.
- 2007-08-13: beinecke.dubois.xml converted for compliance with Yale EAD Best Practice Guidelines with brbl-migrate-01.xsl (mr2007-08-13).
- 2007-03-08: PUBLIC "-//Yale University::Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library//TEXT (US::CtYBR::::[W. E. B. DUBOIS COLLECTION ])//EN" "dubois.xml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).
Part of the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library Repository