Philippe Halsman photographs of Yale affiliated individuals
Scope and Contents
The material consists of formal portrit photographs of Yale affiliated individuals, including William F. Buckley, Jr., Henry Ford II, Henry R. Luce and Paul Tillich.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright has not been transferred to Yale University.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The material was a gift of Jane Halsman Bello and Steve Bello, 2002.
Arranged by topic.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The material consists of formal portrait photographs of Yale affiliated individuals, including William F. Buckley, Jr., Henry Ford II, Henry R. Luce and Paul Tillich.
Biographical / Historical
Philippe Halsman was born in Riga, Latvia in 1901. He opened a photography studio in Paris in 1931. He left occupied France for the United States in 1940. Halsman was a founding member and first president of the American Society of Media Photographers, Inc. in 1945. Halsman is best known for his portraits of famous individuals, such as Salador Dali, Albert Einstein and Winston Churchill. His 30 year affiliation with Life magazine resulted in 101 covers. His photographs have been published in numerous books and magazines. Two of his photographs were made into postage stamps. Halsman died in 1979.
Forms part of Yale Record Group 48-A (YRG 48-A), Yale pictorial records and collections.
- Bazelon, David T., 1923- -- Portraits
- Buckley, William F., Jr., 1925-2008 -- Portraits
- Davenport, Russell W. (Russell Wheeler), 1899-1954 -- Portraits
- Feiffer, Jules -- Portraits
- Ford, Henry, II, 1917-1987 -- Portraits
- Halsman, Philippe, 1906-1979
- Ingersoll, Ralph, 1900-1985 -- Portraits
- Jessup, John Knox, 1907- -- Portraits
- Kefauver, Estes, 1903-1963 -- Portraits
- Lindsay, John V. (John Vliet), 1921-2000 -- Portraits
- Lord, Walter, 1917-2002 -- Portraits
- Luce, Henry Robinson, 1898-1967 -- Portraits
- Niebuhr, Reinhold, 1892-1971 -- Portraits
- Stewart, Potter -- Portraits
- Stone, Edward Durell -- Portraits
- Symington, Stuart, 1901-1988 -- Portraits
- Tillich, Paul, 1886-1965 -- Portraits
- Yale University -- Alumni and alumnae
- Guide to the Philippe Halsman Photographs of Yale Affiliated Individuals
- Under Revision
- compiled by Mary Caldera
- August 2002
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven CT 06520-8240 US
(203) 432-7441 (Fax)
Sterling Memorial Library
120 High Street
New Haven, CT 06511