Skip to main content

Faculty Club records

 Collection
Call Number: RU 1063

Description of the Collection

The records consist of meeting minutes, correspondence, and other historical material documenting the activities of the Faculty Club.

Dates

  • 1911-1979

Creator

Information about Access

The collection is open for research

Arrangement

The records are arranged by accession.

Extent

4.5 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Catalog Record

A record for this collection is available in Orbis, the Yale University Library catalog

Persistent URL

http://hdl.handle.net/10079/fa/mssa.ru.1063

Summary:

The records consist of meeting minutes, correspondence, and other historical material documenting the activities of the Faculty Club.

Information About Creator(s)

The Yale Faculty Club was established in 1921. Located at 149 Elm Street in the former home of Rev. Anson Phelps Stokes, secretary of Yale from 1899 to 1921, the Club was administered by the University Entertainment Committee. Members were served tea, cake and sandwiches every afternoon, with suppers on Thursday evenings. In 1923, the Club took over its own administration. Over the years important developments in the facilities and activities of the Club resulted in increased membership. By 1936, membership in the Club had grown to 518 or 80% of those eligible. By 1956, the total reached 988. Interest groups for faculty women were organized for the first time in 1948. Although efforts were regularly made to recruit new members, decreased participation and use of the Faculty Club lead to its closure in 1977.

The Committee immediate set about the tremendous task of renovating and decorating. The Committee borrowed chairs, tables, rugs, and a little of everything from their friends, often catching those on their way to the Graduate Club to give a helping hand. Much of the Club's money went for coal, and two students were given lodging for taking care of the furnace and cleaning the side walks. Mr. and Mrs. F. Wallace Chatterton were secured as caretakers for the first year for a fee of $50 per month.

In December 1922, the faculty was invited to tea and the club house was opened. No meals were served the first season. When members of the club wanted to have lunch, tea, or dinner there, they brought their own food and dishes. There were no dues or officers. The following fall the house opened with Mrs. Paul White appointed as hostess and manager. She served in this capacity until the fall of 1930, living with her small daughter in the north wing of the Club. Her duties were to be hostess at all hours, make and serve tea every afternoon, and arrange all private parties.

The Committee supplemented its entertainment allowance with modest dues of one dollar per member to cover the expense of heating and operating costs. Tea was made on a hot plate in the pantry and, with cake and sandwiches, was served every afternoon for the price of ten cents. Weekly tea dances were held on Saturday afternoons from November to March. The charge was fifty cents per couple. Student orchestras provided the music. Thursday evening suppers were supplied by Mrs. Wilder Tileston and Mrs. Charles Tilden, the food being cooked in Mrs. Tileston's kitchen and brought to the Club in containers. In the winter of 1923 they served once a week for thirteen weeks, at a charge of fifty cents per person. Service was limited to fifty people. Reservations were supposedly closed at one o'clock on Wednesday.

In the spring of 1923, the Club took over its own administration, electing Dean Henry S. Graves president, Prof. Carl F. Shreiber, treasurer, and Mrs. Edward Noyes, secretary. The newly elected officers held their first meeting at the Faculty Club on June 1, 1923. During that year, the officers and some members of the University Entertainment Committee comprised the Executive Board of the Club, controlling all dealings with the Corporation and all financial matters. Social activities were still in the hands of the University Entertainment Committee.

The social life of the Club continued to grow. The kitchen was made usable and private dinners and luncheons were held. Lectures, Sunday musicals, and informal entertainment was arranged. Prof. Karl Young gave the first tea-time talk, speaking on educational problems. A kindergarten teacher was at the Club mornings to watch over faculty children.

For several years the Club operated on a modest budget and made due with its inadequate furnishings. In 1926, the university loaned the club $5000 for a new heating plant. In 1929, Francis P. Garvan, Class of 1897, gave the Club the money to restore and furnish the house adequately. Shortly thereafter, a scale of Club dues was established to meet increased needs.

General note

Forms part of Yale Record Group 40 (YRG 40), Records of Yale clubs, societies, and organizations.
Title
Guide to the Faculty Club Records
Status
Under Revision
Author
compiled by Daniel Hartwig
Date
January 2008
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository

Contact:
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven CT 06520-8240 US
(203) 432-1735
(203) 432-7441 (Fax)

Location

Sterling Memorial Library
Room 147
120 High Street
New Haven, CT 06511

Opening Hours