Scope and Contents
The collection contains letters from Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832) to James Mill and John Stuart Mill. Bentham's philosophy was very influential upon James Mill and John Stuart Mill in his early years.
Letters to or from John Sterling (1806 - 1844), John Austin (1790 1859), Augustus DeMorgan (1806 - 1871), Edward Livingston Youmans (1806 - 1873), Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903), and George Grote (1794 - 1871) are important to the collection. George Grote's friendship is particularly vital to Mill's own thought. The Grote - Mill letters contain discussion of Platonic thought in conjunction with Aristotle, Socrates, and Xanophon. Augutus DeMorgan's letters contain discussions of Plato and Comte.
Of the female correspondents, an Isabella Beecher Hooker (1822 - 1907) letter of August 10, l869, covers Mill's book, The Subjection of Women, as well as some Hooker thoughts on woman suffrage.
Mill's own copious letters to Harriet give a thorough account of their, relationship and the overpowering influence which she held on his life. The subject is well covered in F. A. Hayek's work, John Stuart Mill and Harriet Taylor. The friendship was ostensibly one of equality, as reflected in Mill's letters contained in the collection.
The John Stuart Mill Collection reveals much of Mill's personal life and an ample amount of his published philosophy. Anyone interested in philosophy as it developed in the nineteenth century would find the Mill correspondence valuable.
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Immediate Source of Acquisition
3.5 Linear Feet (5 boxes)
Biographical / Historical
In 1822, Mill went to work for the East India Company, a position that gave him much time for study and discussion. He began writing for newspapers by 1823, his first article being a letter in the Traveller.
Mill suffered a mental breakdown in 1836, which caused evaluation of the utilitarian philosophy and the beginning of his great works. A System of Logic, Ratiocinative and Inductive appeared in two volumes in l843.
In 1830, Mill met Mrs. Harriet Taylor (1807 - 1858), who was at the time married; however, Mr. Taylor died in 1849; and in 1851, J. Mill and Harriet Taylor were married. Both were ill during the majority of their marriage, and Mrs. Mill died of lung congestion in Avignon, 1858. Mill returned to intellectual pursuits and politics; he served Parliament in 1865, but was defeated in 1868. Mill died May 8, 1873, in Avignon.
For a chart outlining the genealogical relations of the Mill, Hardy, and Taylor families, please consult theGenealogical Chart.
- Adams, Sarah Fuller (Flower) (1805 - 1848)
- Amberley, John Russell, Viscount, (1842 - 1878)
- American and Continental Literary Agency
- Argyll, George Douglas Campbell, Eighth Duke, (1823 - 1900)
- Arnold, Sir Edwin, (1832 - 1904)
- Ashburton, William Bingham Baring, Second Baron, (1799 - 1864)
- Austin, John, (1790 - 1859)
- Avignon, France
- Baer, Constantino
- Bain, Alexander, (1806 - 1873)
- Barnard, James Munson, (1819 - 1904)
- Beal, James
- Beggs, Thomas
- Bentham, Jeremy, (1748 - 1832)
- Bernays, Leopold John, (1820 - 1882)
- Bevans, John
- Bigot, Mary Healy
- Cairnes, Eliza Charlotte (Alexander)
- Cairnes, John Elliot
- Campbell, Alexander ,
- Cazelles, Emile Honore, (1831 - )
- Cazelles, Marie Anne Clotilde (Peyron)
- Chapman, Dr. John (1822 - 1894)
- Chape, Auguste Joanny
- Christie, William Dougal (1816 - l874)
- Colet, Madame Louise
- Cowper, Thomas A.
- DeMorgan Augustus (1806 - 1871)
- Derby, Edward George Geoffrey Smith Stanley, Fourteenth Earl, (1799 - 1869)
- Dilke, Sir Charles Vlentworth (1843 - 1911)
- Duffy, charles Garvari, (1816 - 1903)
- Fawcett, Dame Mellicent (Garett), (1847 - 1929)
- Fawcett, Henry, (1833 - 1884)
- Flower, Eliza, (1803 - 1846)
- Fox, Eliza (Florance)
- Fox, William Johnson, (1786 - 1864)
- Godwin, Parke, (1816 - 1901)
- Graham, William, (1839 - 1911)
- Grant, Horace
- Grey, Henry George, Third Earl, (1802 - 1894)
- Grote, George, (1794 - 1871)
- Gurney, Dr. H. Cecil
- Hardy, Arthur
- Hare, Eleanor Bowes (Benson)
- Hare, Thomas (1806 - 1891)
- Harrison, Frederick, (1831 - 1923)
- Helps, Sir Arthur, (1813 - 1875)
- Herbert, Auberon Edward William Malyneux, (1838 - 1906)
- Herschel, Sir John Frederick William, (1792 - 1871)
- Hobart, Vere Henry Hobart, Baron, (1818 - 187,)
- Hooker, Isabella Beecher, (1822 - 1907)
- Howitt, Mary Botham, (1799 - 1888)
- Huth, Augusta LouisA Sophia (Westenholz), ( - 1889)
- Irvine, Alexander, (1793 - 1873)
- Leslie, Thomas Edward Cliffe, (1827? - 1882)
- Ley, William
- Linett, James
- Longman, William, 1813 - 1877)
- Lord, Caroline Annie (Ley), (1847 - )
- McLaren, Agnes
- McLaren, Donnan, (1800 - 1886)
- Martin, Louis
- Matthew, Patrick
- Mazzini, Guiseppe, (1805 - 1872)
- Mill, Harriet (Hardy) Taylor, (1807 - 1858)
- Mill, John Stuart, (1806 - 1813)
- Morley, John, Viscount, (1838 - 1923)
- National Association for the Promotion of Social Science
- Paterson, John
- Pascal, Eugene
- Peirce, Charles Saunders, (1839 - 1911)
- Phin , John
- Political Economy Club, London
- Roebuck, John Arthur (1801 - 1879)
- Ruge, Arnold, (1802 - 1880)
- Rusden, H. K.
- Salisbury, Robert Arthur Talbot Gascoyne Cecil, Third Marquess of, (1830 - 1880)
- Schaeffer, J.
- Shirreff, Emily Anne Eliza, (lR14 - 1897)
- Smith, Goldwin, (1823 - 1910)
- Spencer, Herbert, (1820- 1903)
- Sterling, John , (1806 - I844)
- Taine, Hippolyte Adolphe, (1828 - 1893)
- Tauchnitz, Christian Bernhard von, (1816 - 1895)
- Taylor, Helen, (1831 - 1907)
- Taylor, Helen B.
- Taylor, R.
- Taylor, Sarah
- Thornton, William Thomas, (1813 - 1880)
- Trask, James
- Trubner &Co.
- Venturi, Emilie (Ashurst) Hawkes, ( - 1893)
- Villari, Pasquale, (183h - 1917)
- White, Horace, (1834 - 1916)
- Youmans, Edward Livingston, (182 1 - 1887)
- Bentham, Jeremy, 1748-1832
- Chadwick, Edwin, 1800-1890
- Chapman, John, 1822-1894
- Christie, William Dougal, 1816-1874
- Cole, Henry, 1808-1882
- De Morgan, Augustus, 1806-1871
- Dilke, Charles Wentworth, Sir, 1843-1911
- England -- Description and travel
- Grote, George, 1794-1871
- Hardy, Arthur
- Herschel, John F. W. (John Frederick William), 1792-1871
- Hooker, Isabella Beecher, 1822-1907
- Mazzini, Giuseppe, 1805-1872
- Mill, Harriet Hardy Taylor, 1807-1858
- Mill, John Stuart, 1806-1873
- Morley, John, 1838-1923
- Spencer, Herbert, 1820-1903
- Sterling, John, 1806-1844
- Taine, Hippolyte, 1828-1893
- Tauchnitz, Bernhard, 1816-1895
- Women -- Legal status, laws, etc.
- Guide to the John Stuart Mill Papers
- compiled by staff of Manuscripts and Archives
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English
- May 1998: Finding aid revision description not supplied.