Annie Burr Jennings collection
Scope and Contents
In 1940 Mrs. Wilmarth S. Lewis gave to Yale University in memory of her aunt, Annie Burr Jennings, a collection of letters and other papers dealing with Aaron Burr and members of his family and related families. These papers were subsequently divided into the Burr Family papers (Manuscript Group Number 303) and the Reeve Family papers (Manuscript Group Number 686). The Annie Burr Jennings Collection is composed of materials which do not pertain directly to either of the other two collections.
Contained here are approximately forty autograph letters and documents, dating for the most part from the Revolutionary War era, and three letters written to Annie Burr Jennings by friends. Among the items of historical interest are a letter of Richard Wagner, one from Samuel Adams to William and Thomas Bradford, a letter from George Washington to his nephew Bushrod Washington, and a letter to George Washington from the architect William Thornton discussing some houses being built by Washington and plans for the capitol.
- Jennings, Annie Burr, 1855-1939 (Collector)
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown, though much of the material in this collection is likely in the public domain. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Mrs. W. S. Lewis, 1940.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
An autograph collection of approximately forty letters and documents, chiefly dating from the Revolutionary War era. Prominent in the collection are Ashbel Green, James Wadsworth, and George Washington. Among the later writers are Albert Bierstadt, Richard Wagner and correspondents of Annie Burr Jennings.
- Adams, Samuel, 1722-1803
- Bierstadt, Albert, 1830-1902
- Blennerhassett, Harman, 1764-1831
- Call, Daniel, approximately 1765-1840
- Colden, Cadwallader D. (Cadwallader David), 1769-1834
- Green, Ashbel, 1762-1848
- Green, E. K.
- Green, Jacob, 1722-1790
- Jennings, Annie Burr, 1855-1939
- Marie-Amélie, Queen, consort of Louis-Philippe, King of the French, 1782-1866
- Martin, Luther, 1748-1826
- Orleans, Antonio d'
- Orleans, J. C. d'
- Sands, Comfort, 1748-1834
- Silliman, Gold Selleck, 1777-1868
- Thornton, William, 1759-1828
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Wadsworth, James, 1730-1817
- Wagner, Richard, 1813-1883
- Washington, George, 1732-1799
- Wickham, John, 1763-1839
- Guide to the Annie Burr Jennings Collection
- Under Revision
- compiled by Janet Elaine Gertz
- February 1983
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Created In Accordance With Manuscripts And Archives Processing Manual
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven CT 06520-8240 US
(203) 432-7441 (Fax)
Sterling Memorial Library
120 High Street
New Haven, CT 06511