Ethel Fogg and William Brooks Clift memorial collection
Scope and Contents
The Clift Collection is divided into three series. Series I consists of letters and other papers of European and American cultural and political figures from the eighteenth through the twentieth centuries. These papers are arranged alphabetically by author. Series II contains the correspondence of John Merrall Whitcomb (1907-, Y. 1930) with writers, historians, and political figures on subjects such as the Russian Revolution, communism, the Sacco-Venzetti case, Woodrow Wilson, and American foreign policy. These papers are arranged alphabetically by correspondent. Series III consists of material relating to Ethel Fogg Clift.
Yale University received this collection through the generosity of John M. Whitcomb, who donated the papers in honor of Ethel Blair Fogg Clift and William Brooks Clift in a series of gifts beginning in 1975.
- Whitcomb, John Merrall, 1907- (Collector)
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of John M. Whitcomb, 1975-1995.
Arrangement by accession.
5.5 Linear Feet (9 boxes)
Language of Materials
A collection assembled by John M. Whitcomb of the letters and other papers of European and American cultural and political figures from the eighteenth to the twentieth centuries. With the collection is the correspondence (1948-1989) of John M. Whitcomb with writers, historians and political figures on subjects such as the Russian Revolution, Communism, the Sacco-Vanzetti case, Woodrow Wilson, and American foreign policy. Also included is biographical material relating to Ethel Fogg Blair and William Brooks Clift, parents of actor Montgomery Clift.
- Aron, Raymond, 1905-1983
- Bell, Daniel, 1919-2011
- Berle, Adolf A., Jr., 1895-1971
- Clift, Ethel Fogg, 1888-1988
- Copeman, Frederick B.
- Geyer, Georgie Anne, 1935-
- Hersey, John, 1914-1993
- Kennan, George F. (George Frost), 1904-2005
- Lichtheim, George, 1912-1973
- Link, Arthur S. (Arthur Stanley), 1920-1998
- MacLeish, Archibald, 1892-1982
- Manuel, Frank Edward, 1910-
- McLellan, David, 1940-
- Morison, Samuel Eliot, 1887-1976
- Payne, Robert, 1911-1983
- Roseman, Samuel Irving, 1896-1973
- Russell, Francis, 1910-1989
- Sacco-Vanzetti Trial, Dedham, Mass., 1921
- Seldes, George, 1890-1995
- Soviet Union -- History -- Revolution, 1917-1921
- Struik, Dirk J. (Dirk Jan), 1894-2000
- Thompson, Dorothy, 1893-1961
- Toland, John, 1912-2004
- Trotsky, Leon, 1879-1940
- United States -- Foreign relations
- Utley, Freda, 1899-1978
- Wedemeyer, Albert C. (Albert Coady), 1896-1989
- Whitcomb, John Merrall, 1907-
- Wilson, Woodrow, 1856-1924
- Guide to the Ethel Fogg and William Brooks Clift Memorial Collection
- Under Revision
- compiled by Ruth Gay
- June 1981
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Created In Accordance With Manuscripts And Archives Processing Manual
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven CT 06520-8240 US
(203) 432-7441 (Fax)
Sterling Memorial Library
120 High Street
New Haven, CT 06511