John Spangler Nicholas papers
Scope and Contents
The Nicholas Papers are arranged in thirty-three (33) boxes and one folio, and total thirteen linear feet. The papers are arranged in the following six series:
- I. CORRESPONDENCE, 1918-1963
- II. ORGANIZATIONS, 1918-1963
- III. YALE UNIVERSITY, 1917-1963
- IV. WRITINGS, 1914-1962
- V. RESEARCH FILES, 1938-1963
- VI. PERSONAL FILES, 1918-1939
SERIES II. ORGANIZATIONS, 1918-1963, contains an alphabetical arrangement of files concerning organizations, societies, associations, and bodies which Nichoals joined, supported, or was involved with in the course of his academic and professional work. This series includes material relating to Nicholas' manpower study work on behalf of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (box 6, folders 52-56), the National Research Council (boxes 8-10, folders 63-77), the National Roster of Scientific and Specialized Personnel (box 10, folders 78-82), and the United States Departments of Labor and HEW (boxes 13-14, folders 108-11).
SERIES III. YALE UNIVERSITY, 1917-1963, contains material relating to Nicholas' academic and administrative work on behalf of the Department of Zoology, the Osborn Zoological Laboratory, and the Sheffield Scientific School. Student grades and teaching files are also included in this series.
SERIES IV. WRITINGS, 1914-1962, is arranged in two sections: John S. Nicholas and Others. Nicholas files include his student notes from several courses and drafts of articles and speeches. Others files contain drafts of works by colleagues, including Ross Granville Harrison.
SERIES V. RESEARCH FILES, contains material on specific grant-funded projects Nicholas pursued and/or conducted, samples of notes, drawings, and photographs relating to amphibian and rat research and publications, and laboratory materials.
SERIES VI. PERSONAL FILES, 1918-1939, contains photographs and memorabilia of Nicholas.
A folio in Series VI contains large research charts and memorabilia.
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Immediate Source of Acquisition
13 Linear Feet (33 boxes, 1 folio)
Language of Materials
Biographical / Historical
- Biology -- Study and teaching
- Conklin, Edwin Grant, 1863-1952
- Greenman, Milton J. (Milton Jay), 1866-1937
- Harrison, Ross G. (Ross Granville), 1870-1959
- Journal of Experimental Zoology
- Morgan, Thomas Hunt, 1866-1945
- National Research Council (U.S.)
- Nicholas, John Spangler, 1893-
- Stockard, Charles R. (Charles Rupert), 1879-1939
- United States. War Manpower Commission
- Williams & Wilkins
- Wilson, Edmund B. (Edmund Beecher), 1856-1939
- Wistar Institute of Anatomy and Biology
- Yale University -- Faculty
- Yale University -- Students
- Yale University. Dept. of Zoology
- Guide to the John Spangler Nicholas Papers
- Under Revision
- compiled by William E. Brown, Jr. and John Espy
- August 1984
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Created In Accordance With Manuscripts And Archives Processing Manual
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven CT 06520-8240 US
(203) 432-7441 (Fax)
Sterling Memorial Library
120 High Street
New Haven, CT 06511