Alfred White Van Sinderen Collection
Call Number: MS 1095
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of letters of thirty-five presidents of the United States from George Washington to Lyndon B. Johnson. Each is represented by one letter written in office and one written after leaving office. There are also fifteen other letters either written by a United States president or relating to a United States president. Many of the letters are accompanied by typescripts, notes on historical significance of item, and/or clippings from auction catalogues.
Conditions Governing Access
All original documents in the collection have been both microfilmed and photocopied due to preservation concerns. Readers must use either the microfilm (HM 104) or photocopies of the collection in box 2.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown, though much of the material in this collection is likely in the public domain. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Alfred W. Van Sinderen, 1980-1990.
The letters are arranged chronologically.
1 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
The collection consists of letters of thirty-five presidents of the United States from George Washington to Lyndon B. Johnson. Each is represented by one letter written in office and one written after leaving office. There are also fifteen other letters either written by a United States president or relating to a United States president.
Existence and Location of Copies
Material originally deposited in 1980 is also available on microfilm (224 frames on 1 reel. 35mm.) from Manuscripts and Archives, Yale University Library, at cost. Order no. HM104.
Addition 1988-M-048 integrated into Box 1, Folders 71-85.
- Adams, John Quincy, 1767-1848
- Adams, John, 1735-1826
- Arthur, Chester Alan, 1829-1886
- Buchanan, James, 1791-1868
- Cleveland, Grover, 1837-1908
- Coolidge, Calvin, 1872-1933
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969
- Fillmore, Millard, 1800-1874
- Garfield, James A. (James Abram), 1831-1881
- Grant, Ulysses S. (Ulysses Simpson), 1822-1885
- Harding, Warren G. (Warren Gamaliel), 1865-1923
- Harrison, Benjamin, 1833-1901
- Harrison, William Henry, 1773-1841
- Hayes, Rutherford B., 1822-1893
- Hoover, Herbert, 1874-1964
- Jackson, Andrew, 1767-1845
- Jefferson, Thomas, 1743-1826
- Johnson, Andrew, 1808-1875
- Johnson, Lyndon B. (Lyndon Baines), 1908-1973
- Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865
- Madison, James, 1751-1836
- McKinley, William, 1843-1901
- Monroe, James, 1758-1831
- Pierce, Franklin, 1804-1869
- Polk, James K. (James Knox), 1795-1849
- Presidents -- United States
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919
- Taft, William H. (William Howard), 1857-1930
- Taylor, Zachary, 1784-1850
- Truman, Harry S., 1884-1972
- Tyler, John, 1790-1862
- Van Buren, Martin, 1782-1862
- Washington, George, 1732-1799
- Guide to the Alfred White Van Sinderen Collection
- compiled by Manuscripts and Archives Staff
- January 1980
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.