Yale Gymnasium Corporation records
Scope and Contents
The Yale Gymnasium Corporation was formed "to promote and encourage physical exercise among the students and members of the Yale University, to build, equip and manage for their use a gymnasium." To finance its project, subscriptions were solicited from alumni. In conjunction with the University, the Corporation bought land and planned the new building. Included in these papers are the contracts and specifications for the Gymnasium, which was completed in 1892 and formally opened in 1893. In 1893 "the property of the Yale Gymnasium Corporation was conveyed to the President and Fellows of Yale University and the Yale Gymnasium Corporation passed out of existence."
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the Yale Gymnasium Corporation has been transferred to Yale University. These materials may be used for non-commercial purposes without seeking permission from Yale University as the copyright holder. For other uses of these materials, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright status for other collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The records were found in the Treasurer's Records and were presumably deposited by William L. McLane when the Corporation went out of existence in 1893.
1 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Correspondence, contracts, account books, and miscellanea relating to the Corporation's efforts to encourage physical exercise and construct a gymnasium in the 1890s.
Biographical / Historical
The Yale Gymnasium Corporation was formed to "to promote and encourage physical exercise among the students and members of Yale University, to build, equip and manage for their use a gymnasium." To finance its project, subscriptions were solicited from alumni. In conjunction with the University, the Corporation bought land and planned a new building which was completed in 1892 and formally opened in 1893.
- Guide to the Yale Gymnasium Corporation Records
- Under Revision
- compiled by Lynne Farrington
- May 1981
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Created In Accordance With Manuscripts And Archives Processing Manual
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven CT 06520-8240 US
(203) 432-7441 (Fax)
Sterling Memorial Library
120 High Street
New Haven, CT 06511