Skip to main content

Yale Gymnasium Corporation records

 Collection
Call Number: MS 1243
Scope and Contents
The Yale Gymnasium Corporation was formed "to promote and encourage physical exercise among the students and members of the Yale University, to build, equip and manage for their use a gymnasium." To finance its project, subscriptions were solicited from alumni. In conjunction with the University, the Corporation bought land and planned the new building. Included in these papers are the contracts and specifications for the Gymnasium, which was completed in 1892 and formally opened in 1893. In 1893 "the property of the Yale Gymnasium Corporation was conveyed to the President and Fellows of Yale University and the Yale Gymnasium Corporation passed out of existence."
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the Yale Gymnasium Corporation has been transferred to Yale University. These materials may be used for non-commercial purposes without seeking permission from Yale University as the copyright holder. For other uses of these materials, please contact mssa.assist@yale.edu.

Copyright status for other collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The records were found in the Treasurer's Records and were presumably deposited by William L. McLane when the Corporation went out of existence in 1893.
Dates
1884-1900
Extent
1 Linear Feet
Related Names
Yale Gymnasium Corporation
Language of Materials
English