Stephen Henry Bronson papers
Scope and Contents
Bronson travelled to Paris in order to pursue his scientific education, and the papers contain numerous references to his laboratory work in comparative anatomy at the Jardin des Plantes and with Milne Edwards. The papers also document the growth of Bronson's friendship with George Pouchet, his interests in paleontology, zoology, and other biological sciences, and his attendance at lectures in the medical sciences and natural history. The diaries record Bronson's attempts to learn French, and from the end of June, 1868 through February, 1870 all diary entries are in French. The diaries and letters also contain Bronson's observations on the national character, politics, scenery, museums, theatre, churches, and cultural events of France and Germany, and the cities of Prague, and Vienna. Diary entries for an 1871 trip note Bronson's travels in Great Britain.
In addition, the papers include a biographical sketch of Bronson, attributed to his father Henry Bronson, and a diary (original and typescript) kept by the elder Bronson on a trip to Europe in 1839-1840. This diary describes in great detail a long and arduous sea voyage from New York to Genoa and travels in Italy, France, Great Britain, and Ireland, including visits to Rome, the Vatican, Naples, and Pompeii.
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Immediate Source of Acquisition
0.75 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Biographical / Historical
- Anatomy, Comparative
- Bronson, Henry, 1804-1893
- Bronson, Stephen Henry, 1844-1880
- Edwards, Milne, 1800-1885
- Europe -- Description and travel
- France -- Description and travel
- Great Britain -- Description and travel
- Italy -- Description and travel
- Medical education
- Paris (France) -- Description and travel
- Pouchet, G. (Georges), 1833-1894
- Voyages and travels
- Guide to the Stephen Henry Bronson Papers
- compiled by Diane E. Kaplan, William E. Brown, Jr., and Carol King
- August 1985
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- May 2013: Finding aid revision description not supplied.