Robert E. Upson family papers
Scope and Contents
The Robert E. Upson Papers consist of correspondence and business, legal, and financial papers, which document the lives of Ashahel Upson and his nine sons. The elder Upson owned a farm and tin shop in Southington, Connecticut. The papers include accounts of the farm and shop as well as the sale of tin goods by members of the Langdon family. Through correspondence and financial records, the papers trace the careers of the Upson children, several of whom settled in the South and California. The papers also record business ventures by family members in Kansas and Montana. The Odyssey of a Connecticut Family in Pursuit of the American Dream, a history of the Upson family, is also included in the papers. Helen Rena Upson, the author of this study, donated the papers to the Manuscripts and Archives Department in 1989; the papers are named in honor of her father.
- Majority of material found within 1816 - 1882
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection are in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use. Copyright status for other collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Helen R. Upson, 1989.
2.75 Linear Feet (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
The papers consist of correspondence and business, legal, and financial papers which document the life of Ashahel Upson, a farmer and tinsmith in Southington, Connecticut. The papers also trace the settlement and business ventures of Upson's nine sons in Alabama, Kansas, California, and Montana.
Biographical / Historical
For a chart outlining the genealogical relations of the Upson family, please consult the Genealogical Chart.
Robert E. Upson Family
- Asahel Upson (1783-1867) m. (1806) Lydia Webster
- Asahel Lauren (1807-1885) m. Selina Chatfield
- Asahel Warren (1807-1835)
- Asahel James Robert (1809-1877) m. (1859) Mary Jones
- Asahel DeWitt (1812-1879) m. Harriet Smith
- Asahel Edwin (b.1814) m. Priscilla Maxwell (d. 1855)
- Asahel Augustus (b. 1816) m. (1849) Dorinda Weeks (d. 1854)
- Asahel Augustus (b. 1816) m. (1860) Maria A. Gray
- Asahel Josiah (1818-1856) m. Dolly
- Asahel Charles (1821-1885) m. (1852) Sophia Upham
- Asahel Gad Ely (1823-1866) m. Lucy Langdon (b.1833)
- Guide to the Robert E. Upson Family Papers
- Under Revision
- compiled by Diane E. Kaplan
- June 1991
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Created In Accordance With Manuscripts And Archives Processing Manual
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven CT 06520-8240 US
(203) 432-7441 (Fax)
Sterling Memorial Library
120 High Street
New Haven, CT 06511