Edward Maurice Cohart papers
Scope and Contents
The Edward M. Cohart Papers consist of office files from the early part of his career as a professor of public health at Yale. They document his two major projects: the development of a Cancer Control Program at Yale, and a research project consisting of time studies of public health personnel. The Cancer Control Program approached cancer as a public health problem, to be dealt with on a community basis. The program involved both cancer research and special training for various types of public health workers. The personnel research project, co-directed by William R. Willard, used time studies to determine the content and requirements of public health jobs. The project studied 1648 people in six states. Both of these projects were supported by grants from the United States Public Health Service.
The office files consist of correspondence, writings, reports, research materials, samples of questionnaires and other forms from the personnel research project, grant materials and printed matter. They have been arranged in a single alphabetical sequence, by name of correspondent or by type of material. The central working files for the projects described above will be found under the headings "Yale Public Health Personnel Research Project" and "Yale University School of Medicine. Department of Public Health: Cancer Control Program," but most of the other papers also concern these two projects. There are two folders of correspondence with Ira V. Hiscock, the chairman of the Yale Department of Public Health during this period, but most of the exchanges concern routine departmental matters.
The papers were accessioned from the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, ca. 1971.
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were accessioned from the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, ca. 1971. Gift of Mary Cohart, 1995.
Arranged by inventory and additional material.
7.75 Linear Feet (15 boxes)
Language of Materials
The papers consist of office files and course material which document Edward M. Cohart's career as professor of public health. There is extensive material for two major projects: the development of a Cancer Control Program at Yale and a research project of time studies of public health personnel. These papers form part of the Contemporary Medical Care and Health Policy Collection.
Biographical / Historical
Edward Maurice Cohart was born in 1909. He received a B.A. degree from Columbia University in 1928 and a M.D. in 1933. Cohart was in private practice from 1935-1942. He received a M.P.H. degree in 1947, and was a cancer control consultant for the United States Public Health Service from 1947-1948. Cohart was an associate professor of public health at Yale University from 1948-1956, a professor of public health from 1956-1960, and the C.-E.A. Winslow Professor of Public Health from 1960-1978.
EDWARD MAURICE COHART, 1909 -
- born in Brooklyn, N. Y.; son of Maurice Abraham and Emma (Chess) Cohart
- received B. A. from Columbia University
- received M. D.
- married Mary Schleifer
- in private practice
- received M. P. H.
- cancer control consultant, United States Public Health Service
- Associate professor of public health, Yale University
- Deputy commissioner of Department of Health, New York City; also consultant in public health at Institute of Public Administration, N. Y.
- received Honorary M. A. from Yale University
- Professor of public health, Yale University
- Charles-Edward A. Winslow Professor of Public Health, Yale University
- Acting chairman, Department of Public Health, Yale University
- Secretary-Treasurer, Association of Schools of Public Health
- President, New England Public Health Association
- Chairman, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University,
- Charles-Edward A. Winslow Professor Emeritus of Public Health, Yale University
-from Who's Who in America, 40th ed., 1978-1979, p. 635; Historical Register of Yale University,1951-1968, p. 219
- Cancer -- Research
- Cohart, Edward
- Contemporary Medical Care and Health Policy Collection
- Hiscock, Ira V. (Ira Vaughan), 1892-
- Public health
- Public health -- Study and teaching
- Time study
- Yale Public Health Personnel Research Project
- Yale University -- Faculty
- Yale University. Dept. of Public Health. Cancer Control Program
- Guide to the Edward Maurice Cohart Papers
- Under Revision
- compiled by John Espy
- June 1983
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven CT 06520-8240 US
(203) 432-7441 (Fax)
Sterling Memorial Library
120 High Street
New Haven, CT 06511