Scope and Contents
The collection includes correspondence; government documents, including legal cases, decrees, reports and proclamations; church documents; published illustrated materials; and writings from the Caribbean islands (Cuba, Jamaica, Santo Domingo, Barbados, and the Virgin Islands). The collection is arranged by accession; the original accession is arranged by country, and by date within the country. The description of each item includes, when possible, its author, title, place of origin, and a summary of its contents. When an item is a copy of an original, it is arranged by the date of the original. The date field, however, contains the date of the copy itself, not the original. The date of the original is included in the summary description of the item.
Language of Materials
The collection is mainly in Spanish; Jamaica, Barbados, Trinidad, and Virgin Islands materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.The entire collection, except Accession 2012-M-067, Accession 2013-M-021, and Accession 2017-M-014 is available on microfilm. Patrons must use HM 253 instead of the originals.
Existence and Location of Copies
The entire collection, except for Accession 2012-M-067, Accession 2013-M-021, and Accession 2017-M-014 is available on microfilm from Gale Group, Farmington Hills, Michigan.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown, though much of the material in this collection is likely in the public domain. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Materials have been assembled from various collections and acquired from several individuals. They include materials transferred from the Latin American Collection Curator, Yale University Library.
The collection is arranged by accession; the original accession is arranged by country, and by date within the country.
23.0 Linear Feet (11 boxes)
A collection of correspondence; government documents, including legal cases, reports, decrees and proclamations; church documents; published illustrated materials; and writings from the Caribbean islands (Cuba, Jamaica, Santo Domingo, Barbados, and the Virgin Islands) on civil, military, religious, economic and social topics.
- Caribbean Area -- History -- 1810-1945
- Caribbean Area -- History -- To 1810
- Cuba -- Economic conditions
- Cuba -- History -- 1810-1899
- Cuba -- History -- To 1810
- Dominican Republic -- History -- To 1844
- Jamaica -- History -- To 1962
- Land titles -- Registration and transfer -- Jamaica
- Mexico -- History -- Spanish Invasion, 1829
- Plantation owners -- Barbados -- History -- 18th century
- Plantations -- Jamaica
- Slavery -- Caribbean Area -- History
- Slaves -- Barbados -- History -- 18th century
- United States Virgin Islands
- Guide to the Caribbean Collection
- compiled by Philip S. MacLeod and Christine Weideman
- December 2001
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- October 2016: Finding aid revision description not supplied.