Joseph Bradley Murray collection
Scope and Contents
The Joseph Bradley Murray Collection consists of autograph letters, manuscripts, portraits, and clippings, of and relating principally to European and American scientists of the 18th through the 20th centuries. The collector, Joseph Bradley Murray (1888-1961), was a businessman and a member of the Class of 1910, Sheffield Scientific School.
Some of the papers originally in this collection have been transferred to other collections in Manuscripts and Archives with which they are more properly connected (e.g. Benjamin Silliman letters were transferred to the Silliman Family Papers, James Dwight Dana to the Dana Family Papers, etc.).
- Murray, Joseph Bradley, 1888-1961 (Collector)
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown, though much of the material in this collection is likely in the public domain. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of the estate of Joseph Bradley Murray, 1961.
0.75 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
A collection of autograph letters, manuscripts, portraits, and clippings of and relating principally to European and American scientists of the 18th through the 20th centuries. The collector, Joseph Bradley Murray, was a businessman and member of the Class of 1910, Sheffield Scientific School, Yale University.
Other Finding Aids
The collection is completely cataloged. Please consult the microfiche index available in the department.
- Agassiz, Louis, 1807-1873
- Bache, A. D. (Alexander Dallas), 1806-1867
- Bell, Alexander Graham, 1847-1922
- Binney, Amos, 1803-1847
- Bowditch, Nathaniel, 1773-1838
- Colt, Samuel, 1814-1862
- Daguerre, Louis Jacques Mandé, 1787-1851
- Darwin, Charles, 1809-1882
- De Forest, Lee, 1873-1961
- Edison, Thomas A. (Thomas Alva), 1847-1931
- Eiffel, Gustave, 1832-1923
- Henry, Joseph, 1797-1878
- McCormick, Cyrus H. (Cyrus Hall), 1859-1936
- McCormick, Cyrus Hall, 1809-1884
- Mitchell, Maria, 1818-1889
- Morse, Samuel Finley Breese, 1791-1872
- Newton, Isaac, 1642-1727
- Pasteur, Louis, 1822-1895
- Remsen, Ira, 1846-1927
- Watt, James, 1736-1819
- Whitney, Eli, 1765-1825
- Wright, Orville, 1871-1948
- Yale University. Sheffield Scientific School. Class of 1910
- Guide to the Joseph Bradley Murray Collection
- Under Revision
- compiled by Steven Hensen
- August 1973
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Created In Accordance With Manuscripts And Archives Processing Manual
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven CT 06520-8240 US
(203) 432-7441 (Fax)
Sterling Memorial Library
120 High Street
New Haven, CT 06511