Scope and Contents
Series II, ADRIAN TERRY, contains papers relating to the Civil War and other subjects. Correspondence consists primarily of letters from family members and letters from Civil War veterans (1896-1897) responding to his requests for information about the capture of Fort Fisher, N. C. in January, 1865. Civil War Papers includes Adrian Terry's military papers, reports and maps of battles, veterans' association papers, and newspapers. Fort Fisher consists of Terry's reminiscences and historical accounts of the battle, articles by others, copies of military reports, maps, notes, and newspaper articles. Personal Papers contains biographical notes, Yale College materials, a copy of memorial resolutions on Adrian Terry's death, and miscellaneous papers of biographical interest.
Series III, ISADORE (WRIGHT) TERRY, consists of papers of Adrian Terry's wife. Correspondence contains letters from several relatives and friends, including her grandmother, Frances (Smith) Cowles, and her sister, Frances Wright. Adrian Terry's letters to his wife during the Civil War provide a valuable personal perspective on the war. Personal Papers consists of invitations, calling cards, children's hair, and photographs.
Series IV, HARRIET W. TERRY, contains letters received by Harriet Wadsworth Terry (1830-1908) and a small amount of personal papers. Most of the Correspondence is from family members and relatives, including Robert P. Hughes, Alfred Howe Terry, and Adrian Terry. Other correspondents include friends of Alfred Howe Terry - such as Joseph R. Hawley; George Grant MacCurdy, William Tecumseh Sherman, and W. W. Witherspoon - many of whom sent condolences after Terry's death in 1890. Personal Papers contains resolutions on her resignation from Vassar College and miscellaneous manuscripts.
Series V, ELIZA H. TERRY, contains letters received and a diary by Eliza Howe Terry. Correspondence consists entirely of letters from her brothers and sisters, particularly Alfred Howe Terry. The Diary (1875 Jul) describes her ocean voyage to Europe.
Series VI, OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS, consists of papers of other members of the Terry family. These include relatives in the Brinley, Cates, Cowles, Howe, Hughes, Terry, Wadsworth, Whittlesey, and Wright families. In addition to genealogical material, there are papers of many individual family members, including Alfred Terry, Clarissa (Howe) Terry, and their children, Clara H. (Terry) Hughes, Frances Terry, Jeremiah Wadsworth Terry, and Robert Goldsborough Terry. There are also papers of Clarissa (Howe) Terry's father, Hezekiah Howe; Clara H. (Terry) Hughes's husband, Robert Patterson Hughes; Isadore (Wright) Terry's father, Albert A. Wright, and her sister, Sarah Wright. The children of Adrian and Isadore (Wright) Terry are also represented: Clarissa Howe (Terry) Cates, Alfred Howe Terry (1875-1965), and Harriet W. Terry. The papers of James Terry (1823-1870) consist of correspondence from 1855 to 1869. The most extensive group of materials in this series is the diaries, 1875-1912, and other papers of James Terry (1844-1919).
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Immediate Source of Acquisition
5 Linear Feet (13 boxes)
Language of Materials
Biographical / Historical
- Aiken, William Appleton, 1833-1929
- American Museum of Natural History
- Armed Forces
- Armstrong, S. C. (Samuel Chapman), 1839-1893
- Bacon, Alfred Terry
- Bacon, Alice Mabel, 1858-1918
- Bacon, Catherine E. Terry
- Bacon, Thomas R.
- Barnes, N.S.
- Benét, Stephen Vincent, 1898-1943
- Birge, Henry Warner, 1825-1888
- Bradley, Luther Prentice, 1822-1910
- Brinley, Frances Ellen Terry, 1816-1876
- Brinley, George P.
- Cates, Clarissa Howe Terry
- Comstock, C. B. (Cyrus Ballou), 1831-1910
- Cooke, Rose Terry, 1827-1892
- Cowles, Frances Smith
- Crane, Charles Henry, 1825-1883
- Curtis, Newton Martin, 1835-1910
- Custer, George A. (George Armstrong), 1839-1876
- Farrington, Daniel Summer
- Fort Fisher (N.C. : Fort) -- Siege, 1864-1865
- Gardiner, Asa Bird, 1839-1919
- Goodsell, Abby F.
- Grant, Ulysses S. (Ulysses Simpson), 1822-1885
- Graves, Charles Hinman, 1839-1928
- Greenleaf, Charles R. (Charles Ravenscroft), 1838-1911
- Hawley, Joseph R. (Joseph Roswell), 1826-1905
- Hazen, William Babcock, 1830-1887
- Hoar, George Frisbie, 1826-1904
- Howe, Henry, 1816-1893
- Hughes, Clara Henrietta Terry, 1835-1891
- Hughes, Robert Patterson, 1839-1909
- Indians of North America
- Johnson, Robert Underwood, 1853-1937
- Jones, E. W.
- Jones, John R.
- Kansas -- Description and travel
- Landers, William E.
- Lossing, Benson John, 1813-1891
- Lossing, Helen Sweet, -1912
- Lull, Edward Phelps, 1836-1887
- MacCurdy, George Grant, 1863-1947
- Maginnis, Martin, 1841-1919
- McClung, M.C.
- McGuffey, Charles D.
- McIlvaine, Charles, 1840-1909
- Meigs, Montgomery, 1847-1931
- Mordecai, Alfred, 1840-1904
- Morris, Dwight
- Morris, J. F.
- Osborn, Francis Augustus, 1833-1914
- Pennypacker, Galusha, 1844-1916
- Pierpont, William H.
- Platt, Orville Hitchcock, 1827-1905
- Porter, Fitz-John, 1822-1901
- Porter, Sarah, 1813-1900
- Price, Kenneth
- Prince, Frederick W.
- Ramsey, Alexander, 1815-1903
- Randlett, James F.
- Raymond, John H. (John Howard), 1814-1878
- Rockwell, Alfred Perkins, 1834-1903
- Sanford, Edward J.
- Sanford, Emma J.
- Schofield, John McAllister, 1831-1906
- Sheridan, Philip Henry, 1831-1888
- Sherman, William T. (William Tecumseh), 1820-1891
- Sitting Bull, 1831-1890
- Stanton, Edwin M. (Edwin McMasters), 1814-1869
- Strieby, Michael Epahras, 1815-1896
- Summers, John Edward, 1822-
- Terry family
- Terry, Adrian, 1831-1906
- Terry, Alfred Howe, 1827-1890
- Terry, Alfred Howe, 1875-1965
- Terry, Clarissa Howe, d. 1874
- Terry, Eliza Howe, 1840-
- Terry, Frances, 1843-
- Terry, Harriet Wadsworth, 1830-1908
- Terry, Isadore Lee Wright
- Terry, James, 1823-1870
- Terry, James, 1844-1919
- Terry, Jane Russell, 1846-
- Terry, Jeremiah Wadsworth, 1833-1905
- Terry, Josephine
- Terry, Kate W.
- Terry, Luther
- Terry, Marion S.
- Terry, Robert Goldsborough, 1837-1878
- Thompson, John
- Thompson, Texas Ben, 1842-1884
- Thomson, Frank, 1841-1899
- Tourtellotte, John E. (John Everett), 1869-1939
- Towle, George F.
- Trumbull, H. Clay (Henry Clay), 1830-1903
- United States -- Description and travel
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Vassar College
- Wayland, H. L. (Heman Lincoln), 1830-1898
- Whittlesey, Elisha, 1783-1863
- Witherspoon, W.W.
- Woodbury, R.W.
- Wright, Albert A. (Albert Allen), 1846-1905
- Wright, Frances
- Wright, Julius A.
- Wright, Samuel
- Wright, Sarah
- Yale College (1718-1887). Class of 1852
- Yale University -- Students
- Zent, Samuel S.
- Guide to the Terry Family Papers
- Under Revision
- compiled by Randall C. Jimerson
- July 1979
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Created In Accordance With Manuscripts And Archives Processing Manual
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven CT 06520-8240 US
(203) 432-7441 (Fax)
Sterling Memorial Library
120 High Street
New Haven, CT 06511