Mary Ann Phelps Montgomery collection
Scope and Contents
The Mary Ann Phelps Montgomery Collection contains over two hundred letters and autographs of prominent Americans and Europeans spanning the years 1762 to 1937. Mary Ann Phelps Montgomery (1847-1943) was the daughter of Governor John Smith Phelps of Missouri and the wife of James Boyce Montgomery of Portland, Oregon.
Learning of Mrs. Montgomery's autograph collection, Lieutenant Governor Thomas C. Reynolds of Missouri sent her thirty-five letters, which are among the earliest items in the collection. Also included in the collection are fifteen letters (1845-1880) which were written to Mrs. Montgomery's father, Governor Phelps. Mrs. Montgomery continued to expand her autograph collection, adding letters of some American political figures, as well as personal correspondence, through 1937.
- Montgomery, Mary Ann Phelps, 1847-1943 (Collector)
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown, though much of the material in this collection is likely in the public domain. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Mary Ann Phelps Montgomery in 1944.
The collection is arranged alphabetically by author. Letters by the same person are arranged chronogically within the folder.
3.75 Linear Feet (4 boxes)
Language of Materials
A collection of autograph letters and manuscripts, many of leading American public figures, collected by Mary Ann Phelps Montgomery. Fifteen letters are addressed to her father, Governor John Smith Phelps (1814-1866) of Missouri, six were written by James G. Blaine (1830-1893), and five by Thomas C. Reynolds of Missouri. The collection includes items signed by four American presidents, several European heads of state, and prominent members of European nobility.
- Blaine, James Gillespie, 1830-1893
- Calhoun, John C. (John Caldwell), 1782-1850
- Carnegie, Andrew, 1835-1919
- Clement, Pope, XIII, 1693-1769
- Frederick, King of Prussia, II, 1712-1786
- Grant, Ulysses S. (Ulysses Simpson), 1822-1885
- Harrison, Benjamin, 1833-1901
- Jackson, Andrew, 1767-1845
- Joseph Bonaparte, King of Spain, 1768-1844
- Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth, 1807-1882
- Maria Theresa, Empress of Austria, 1717-1780
- Phelps, John S. (John Smith), 1814-1886
- Reynolds, Thomas C. (Thomas Caute), 1821-1887
- Richelieu, Armand Jean du Plessis, duc de, 1585-1642
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919
- Sherman, William T. (William Tecumseh), 1820-1891
- Talleyrand-Périgord, Charles Maurice de, prince de Bénévent, 1754-1838
- United States -- Politics and government
- Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1901
- Webster, Daniel, 1782-1852
- Wells, Gideon, 1835-1898
- Guide to the Mary Ann Phelps Montgomery Collection
- Under Revision
- compiled by Elizabeth T. Freer and Mary C. LaFogg
- January 1978
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Created In Accordance With Manuscripts And Archives Processing Manual
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven CT 06520-8240 US
(203) 432-7441 (Fax)
Sterling Memorial Library
120 High Street
New Haven, CT 06511