Scope and Contents
The Lovett Papers are arranged in 79 boxes, totalling 29.25 linear feet, The papers are organized in five series: I. CORRESPONDENCE, 1889-1979; II. YALE FACULTY COMMITTEE FOR RECEIVING OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE CHILDREN, 1940-1948; III. YALE-IN-CHINA, 1933-1979; IV. SERMONS, 1914-1937; V. WRITINGS AND MISCELLANEA, 1900-1979. The Lovett Papers were donated by Richard and Sidney Lovett, and Eugenia West Lovett, from 1981-1983.
SERIES I, CORRESPONDENCE, 1889-1979, contains Lovett's personal and professional correspondence. His extensive role in the religious and academic operations of Yale University is documented through letters to and from James Rowland Angell, Henry Sloane Coffin, Alfred Whitney Griswold, Carl Albert Lohman, Elmore McNeil McKee, Charles Seymour, Norman Sydney Buck, Irving S. Fisher, Chauncey W. Goodrich, Wilmarth Sheldon Lewis, Addison Grant Noble, Richard Carter Nyman, and many others. Many letters with Yale University students and alumni, frequently addressed to "Uncle Sid," are also arranged in this series. Correspondence relating to such university organizations and topics as the Battell Chapel Memorial Fund, Berkeley Association, Church of Christ in Yale University, Dwight Hall, Pierson College, the academic courses "Religion 21" and "Religion 22," the religious affiliations of students, university preaching schedules, the Yale Alumni Fund, and the Yale University Christian Mission are organized in this series.
Sidney Lovett's activities outside the Yale University community include membership and participation in several New Haven area organizations as well as many influential national organizations. Correspondence detailing his contributions to the Abbott Academy (Andover, Mass.), Austin Riggs Foundation, Family Service of New Haven, the Fellowship of Reconciliation, George Junior Republic Association, Hopkins Grammar School, Interfaith Education Council, the New Haven Commission on Equal Opportunities, the Ulysses S. Grant Foundation, and the World Student Service Fund, is organized in this series. Correspondence with many religious figures, university and college chaplains, and family members are also arranged here.
SERIES II, YALE FACULTY COMMITTEE FOR RECEIVING OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE CHILDREN, 1940-1948, contains correspondence and other material detailing Lovett's service as chairman, of this organization. The organizational and logistical problems of transferring the young children of oxford and Cambridge University faculty members to the United States during World War II, and the participation of the Yale University community in this effort, are documented.
SERIES III, YALE-IN-CHINA, 1933-1979, contains correspondence and material relating to Lovett's service as executive vice-president of this organization, now known as Yale-China Association. Lovett's correspondence is supplemented by printed material and reports.
SERIES IV, SERMONS, 1914-1977, contains many items Lovett prepared as minister of the Mount Vernon Congregational Church (Boston, Mass.), from 1920-1932; for the Northfield League, 1924-1925; as chaplain of Yale University, 1932-1977; and for other occassions, 1914-1972. These sermons include printed and manuscript versions, and focus on a wide range of religious topics.
SERIES V, WRITINGS AND MISCELLANEA, 1900-1979, contains several types of material, including writings, photographs, printed material, memorabilia, and audio tapes and films. Lovett's writings include short addresses prepared for baccalaureate services, commencement services, and prayers. Additional writings include essays, lectures, notebooks, and speeches.
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Immediate Source of Acquisition
29.25 Linear Feet (79 boxes)
Biographical / Historical
- Abbot Academy
- Angell, James Rowland, 1869-1949
- Austin Riggs Foundation
- B'nai B'rith Hillel Foundations
- Battell Chapel Memorial Fund
- Bayne-Jones, Stanhope, 1888-1970
- Betsy Ross Nursery School (New Haven, Conn.)
- Bryan, Robert A., 1926-
- Buck, Norman Sydney, 1892-1964
- Budlong, Frederick G., 1881-1953
- Campbell, Edward F., Jr. (Edward Fay), 1932-
- Chipman, Reeve
- Coffin, Henry Sloane, 1877-1954
- Coffin, William Sloane, Jr., 1924-2006
- College chaplains
- Committee on the Allocation of Students to the Colleges
- Connecticut Prison Association
- DeVane, William C. (William Clyde), 1898-1965
- Dwight Hall (Yale University)
- Fellowship of Reconciliation (U.S.)
- Fisher, Irving, 1867-1947
- Fosdick, Harry Emerson, 1878-1969
- Fry, Clements Collard, 1892-1955
- George Junior Republic Association
- Goodrich, Chauncey W.
- Griswold, Alfred Whitney, 1906-1963
- Hilgendorf, Howard W.
- Hopkins Grammar School
- Hsin Ya shu yüan (Knowloon, Hong Kong)
- Hutchins, Francis S. (Francis Stephenson), 1902-
- Inter-faith Education Council
- International Migration Service
- International Social Service
- Lee, Richard C. (Richard Charles), 1916-2003
- Lewis, W. S. (Wilmarth Sheldon), 1895-1979
- Lohmann, Carl A. (Carl Albert), 1887-
- Lovett family
- Lovett, Sidney, 1890-1979
- McKee, Elmore McNeill, 1896-
- Mt. Vernon Congregational Church (Boston, Mass.)
- National Association of College and University Chaplains
- National Conference of Chaplains
- National Japanese American Student Relocation Council
- New England Grenfell Association
- New Haven (Conn.)
- Noble, Addison Grant
- Nyman, Richmond Carter, 1900-
- Pierson College (Yale University)
- Religion -- Study and teaching
- Salisbury School
- Seymour, Charles, 1885-1963
- Student Christian Movement in New England
- Ulysses S. Grant Foundation
- University Christian Council
- World War, 1939-1945
- Yale Alumni Fund
- Yale College (1718-1887). Church of Christ
- Yale College (1887- ). Class of 1913
- Yale Faculty Committee for Receiving Oxford and Cambridge University Children
- Yale Hope Mission (New Haven, Conn.)
- Yale University -- Chaplains
- Yale University -- Officals and employees
- Yale University -- Religion
- Yale University -- Students
- Yale University. Berkeley Association
- Yale University. Treasurer
- Yale-China Association
- Guide to the A. Sidney Lovett Papers
- compiled by William E. Brown, Jr.
- April 1984
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.