Oliver Thomas Osborne papers
Scope and Contents
The Oliver Thomas Osborne Papers consist of lecture notes, writings, student papers, memorabilia, and other papers relating to the medical career of Oliver T. Osborne. Included are a matriculation book, notebooks, and other papers dating from Osborne's study at Leipzig University; reprints and photographs of cases of acromegaly; an assortment of addresses and lectures on medical subjects; memorabilia including certificates, programs, photographs, printed matter, and a masonic apron; and a biographical sketch of Osborne and a bibliography of his writings. The papers are arranged in chronological order.
These papers were donated to Yale University in 1939 by Oliver T. Osborne.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection are in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use. Copyright status for other collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Dr. Oliver T. Osborne, 1939.
0.75 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Student notebooks, writings, lectures given at the Yale Medical School, photographs, and memorabilia relating to Osborne's professional career. The largest part of the papers consists of the lectures given at Yale between 1924 and 1925. Also included is a matriculation book from Leipzig University (1884-1885) and other notebooks, printed matter, and speeches on medical subjects. Several photographs show views of Berlin and other parts of Germany.
Biographical / Historical
Oliver Thomas Osborne, M.D. 1884.
Born November 14, 1862, in New Haven, Conn.
Died November 11, 1940, in New Haven, Conn.
Father, Oliver Stuart Osborne, superintendent of a carriage firm in New Haven; first sergeant 1st Connecticut Heavy Artillery 1861-64; son of James Stuart and Elizabeth Brown (Guilford) Osborne of Fairfield, Conn. Mother, Ellen Lewis (Sturges) Osborne; daughter of Peter and Harriet Caroline (Van Vredenburgh) Sturges of Fairfield.
Hillhouse High School; attended Yale School of Medicine 1881-84 (M.D. 1884) and University of Leipzig 1884-85; physician in New Haven 1885-1940; member faculty Yale School of Medicine 1888-1940 (assistant in medical clinic 1888-91; instructor in materia medica and therapeutics 1891-92, assistant professor 1892-95, and professor 1895-1911; clinical professor of medicine 1906-11; professor of therapeutics 1911-22, clinical professor 1922-24, and clinical professor emeritus 1924-40); chief of medical clinic New Haven Dispensary 1891-1911; consulting physician Children's Community Center of New Haven Orphan Asylum, and Griffin Hospital (Derby); author: Introduction to Materia Medica and Prescription Writing (1900), The Treatment of Typhoid Fever (1902), Introduction to Materia Medica and Pharmacology (1906), Disturbances of the Heart (1913), The Prevention and Treatment of Infections (1915), Disturbances of the Kidney (1917), The Principles of Therapeutics (1921), Health; What Everyone Ought to Know (1929), Mouth Infection; Clinical Histories (1934), The Evaluation of Symptoms (1935), and over a hundred articles in medical journals; editor, Handbook of Therapy (1910) and section on therapeutics Journal of the American Medical Association (1908-20); contributed to A System of Physiologic Therapeutics edited by Solomon S. Cohen; Vol. XI, 1906) and to various editions of A Reference Handbook of the Medical Sciences (edited by Albert H. Buck); on advisory board Yale Medical Journal 1896-1904; M.A. Yale 1899; president Association of Yale Alumni in Medicine 1896-97, New Haven County Medical Association 1899, American Therapeutic Society 1905, and New Haven Medical Association 1910; vice-president United States Pharmacopoeial Convention and member revision committee 1910-20; an incorporator Gaylord Farm Sanatorium 1902, a director and chairman medical board 1903-1940; a founder National Tuberculosis Association 1904; was instrumental in securing passage of State pure food and drug act (1907) and establishment of State commission on tuberculosis (1909); delegate to International Medical Congress (Budapest) 1909; fellow American College of Physicians (governor for Connecticut 1924-31); honorary fellow American Stomatological Association (vice-president 1925-30 and honorary vice-president 1930-40; winner Chompret Prize 1933); honorary member Association for the Study of Internal Secretions; member Connecticut State Medical Society, Connecticut Society for Mental Hygiene, American Medical Association (member council on pharmacy and chemistry 1910-16, chairman section on therapeutics and materia medica), American Medical Editors and Authors Association, International Society of Stomatologists, National Academy of Sciences, New Haven Colony Historical Society, Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences, Masonic order, and Trinity Church (Episcopal), New Haven.
Married April 18, 1888, in New Haven, Mary Woodward, daughter of Ami and Harriet Olive (Nichols) Tyler. Children: Gertrude (died in infancy) and Marguerite Nichols.
Death due to chronic asthma. Buried in Evergreen Cemetery, New Haven. Survived by wife and one daughter.
Dr. Osborne bequeathed his books to the University.
(Taken from Yale University Obituary Record, 1940-43, pp. 231-232).
- Guide to the Oliver T. Osborne Papers
- Under Revision
- compiled by Janet Elaine Gertz
- July 1983
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Created In Accordance With Manuscripts And Archives Processing Manual
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven CT 06520-8240 US
(203) 432-7441 (Fax)
Sterling Memorial Library
120 High Street
New Haven, CT 06511