John Dennett Guthrie papers
Scope and Contents
The collection documents forestry work in five states: Arizona and Oregon, where Guthrie worked for the U.S. Forest Service during the early part of his career; Alaska, which he visited and wrote about in 1920-1921, as part of a Forest Service program to publicize the state's forest resources; Texas, where he was first stationed by the CCC; and Virginia, where he lived in later life. In his capacity as a CCC inspector, Guthrie also toured, and received reports from, many other states. There are also numerous materials on international forestry in the files concerning international forestry congresses and the Society of American Foresters' Committee on International Relations. His special interest in forestry in Mexico can be seen in correspondence with Miguel A. de Quevedo, president of the Sociedad Forestal Mexicana.
Guthrie's writings files include typescripts, related correspondence, and research material. Guthrie's writings reflect his interests in forestry, and most are short articles or book reviews prepared for the AFA's American Forests, the SAF's Journal of Forestry, or the U.S. Forest Service's Service Bulletin. Other writings include poetry (Guthrie compiled two anthologies of forest verse, and wrote many poems himself), fables, and parts of a group-authored serial novel, Emanon.
The photographs document further Forest Service and CCC work in the western states; unfortunately, many are not identified. The memorabilia includes passports, certificates, flags, and conservation postage stamps.
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Immediate Source of Acquisition
11 Linear Feet (11 boxes)
Biographical / Historical
- American Forestry Association
- Civilian Conservation Corps (U.S.)
- Conservation of natural resources
- Environmental protection
- Forest policy -- United States
- Forests and forestry -- Alaska
- Forests and forestry -- Arizona
- Forests and forestry -- Oregon
- Forests and forestry -- Texas
- Forests and forestry -- Virginia
- Guthrie, John D. (John Dennett), 1878-1962
- Society of American Foresters
- United States. Forest Service
- Yale University. School of Forestry and Environmental Studies
- Guide to the John Dennett Guthrie Papers
- Compiled by John Espy
- August 1983
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.