Scope and Contents
2.5' (6 boxes, 1 folio) Dates: 1765-1949, n.d.
The history of the Protestant Episcopal Church in America is the subject of the E. Clowes Chorley Papers. Chorley was a historiographer of the Protestant Episcopal Church, and the founder and first editor in 1932 of the Historical Magazine of the Protestant Episcopal Church. A sizeable portion of his papers consists of research materials and drafts of articles written for the Magazineand other publications, and for several books on church history. Autographs and writings of Protestant Episcopal bishops and others important in the history of the church, which Chorley collected, make up the remainder of his papers.
The E. Clowes Chorley Papers have been divided into three series: AUTOGRAPH COLLECTION, RESEARCH PAPERS, and WRITINGS. In the first series are over 300 letters and autographs of Protestant Episcopal bishops and others, arranged alphabetically. Series II contains original documents and other materials of various types. These include documents and correspondence of Bishop Alfred Lee and others relating to missionary work and related activities in Mexico between 1875 and 1915; a small collection of sermons, both manuscripts and typescripts, ranging from 1765 to 1931 and arranged alphabetically by author; books, articles, addresses, and similar writings by and about Protestant Episcopal bishops and church history; and a miscellany of documents, minutes, and so forth from Protestant Episcopal churches, as well as a scrapbook compiled by Chorley about the general convention of 1913. Series III contains drafts of books, articles, and addresses by Chorley, his notes on church history, and a diary for the year 1932 enclosing newspaper clippings and other items. It has only scattered entries.
Reverend Chorley donated these papers to Yale University in a series of gifts between 1937 and 1946. Materials related to these papers may be found in the Elisha Lord Cleaveland Papers (Manuscript Group Number 139) and the Protestant Episcopal Bishops Collection (Manuscript Group Number 21).
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown, though much of the material in this collection is likely in the public domain. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of E. Clowes Chorley, 1937-1946.
2.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Research materials for a history of the Protestant Episcopal Church, drafts of articles written for the Historical Magazine of the Protestant Episcopal Church and other publications, and for several books on church history. Also included is an extensive autograph collection of over 300 letters of Protestant Episcopal bishops.Of particular interest in the research materials are correspondence and documents of Bishop Alfred Lee and others relating to missionary work in Mexico between 1875-1915. Also in the papers is a collection of sermons (1765-1931), a scrapbook compiled by Chorley about the general convention of 1913, and a brief diary for the year of 1932.
- Acheson, Edward Campion, 1858-1934
- Bedell, Gregory Thurston, 1817-1892
- Brewster, Benjamin, 1860-1941
- Brewster, Chauncey B. (Chauncey Bunce), 1848-1941
- Brooks, Phillips, 1835-1893
- Burgess, Frederick, bp., 1853-
- Chase, Carlton, 1794-1870
- Chorley, E. Clowes (Edward Clowes), 1865-1949
- Doane, William Croswell, 1832-1913
- Eastburn, Manton, 1801-1872
- Episcopal Church
- Gailor, Thomas Frank, 1856-1935
- Garland, Thomas James, bp., 1866-1931
- Hare, William Hobart, 1838-1909
- Hopkins, John Henry, 1792-1868
- Howe, Mark Anthony DeWolfe, bp., 1808-1895
- Hulse, Hiram Richard, 1868-1938
- Huntington, F. D. (Frederic Dan), 1819-1904
- Kemper, Jackson, 1789-1870
- Kerfoot, John Barrett, bp., 1816-1881
- Kilgour, Robert, 1714-1790
- Lee, Alfred, 1807-1887
- Lines, Edwin Stevens, bp., 1845-
- Manning, William Thomas, Bp., 1866-1949
- Mexico -- Religious life
- Missionaries -- Mexico
- Muhlenberg, William Augustus, 1796-1877
- Nelson, Richard Henry, bp., 1859-1931
- Onderdonk, Benjamin Tredwell, bp., 1791-1861
- Potter, Henry Codman, 1834-1908
- Potter, Horatio, 1802-1887
- Seymour, George F. (George Franklin), 1829-1906
- Shipman, Herbert, bp., 1869-1930
- Skinner, John, bp. of Aberdeen, 1744-1816
- Slattery, Charles Lewis, 1867-1930
- Tuttle, Daniel Sylvester, 1837-1923
- Whipple, Henry Benjamin, 1822-1901
- Whittingham, William Rollinson, 1805-1879
- Williams, J. (John), 1817-1899
- Guide to the E. Clowes Chorley Papers
- Under Revision
- compiled by Janet Elaine Gertz
- February 1983
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Created In Accordance With Manuscripts And Archives Processing Manual
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven CT 06520-8240 US
(203) 432-7441 (Fax)
Sterling Memorial Library
120 High Street
New Haven, CT 06511